Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default british home children sent to canada

Hi can anyone help
    I am trying to find out anything at all about my fathers half sister
    Gladys Ruby Butcher born Bedminster 1894 then on the 1901 census living in Newport Monmouthshire Baldwin Street, I have trace her on a passenger list 3rd August 1906 leaving Liverpool for Qubec canada on a ship called Tunisian, under I think Dr Barnados, I have failed to find out any more information on her, but have discovered that her brother Randolph Butcher who was also sent to canada, same year but on different ship, died december the same year (1906), I have also failed to find anything about their father George Arthur Butcher who after the 1901 census seems to disappear altogether.

Mary Anne

maesglas/ssclub

Here is Gladys arriving on the Tunisian at Montreal from Liverpool (Film#T-487):

Gladys Butcher, age 11.
    'Mr. Merry's party...of Children. Destination Stratford Ont.'

And Randolph came on the Dominion from Liverpool to Montreal, arriving on 11 August 1906. Destination given as Toronto, Ont, and 'Dr. Barnardo's Party' written up the side of the page.

See the British Isles Family History Society of Greater Ottawa website for databases and contact information. You can send a query to 'queries' at 'bifhsgo' dot 'ca'. We can refer your query to someone who is an expert in these records. He can likely tell you more about whether Gladys also came with Barnardo's or another organization and possibly about the homes in Stratford and Toronto. He can also give you guidance about how to apply to Barnardos' for the files.

Mary Anne

Famous for offering help & advice

maesglas/ssclub--Hi!

Did George Arthur have a brother Frank?

I found a Gladys Butcher in Perth county ( Stratford) on the 1911 census.right age, born in England, but she is listed as the daughter of Frank Butcher. I am wondering if she was sent to live with family after something happened to her father or perhaps he was in the army? The census is mis-transcribed and says she was born in Ontario, but when you look at the original it says England for her birth place.

Just an idea...

Sue

Ps... I could be mistaken as the transcriber says Ontario for the father in this case, but I believe it is ditto marks and not "O" for Ontario in the place of birth as they have written it out for anyone born elsewhere.
    Last edited by susan-y; 06-05-2009 at 11:51 PM. Reason: ps

Brick wall demolition expert!

Darn, the Gladys Butcher in St. Mary's, Perth county on the 1911 census is the perfect age and the right location, but she was also there in 1901, so she can't be the Gladys we're looking for who immigrated to Canada in 1906.

Here she is on the 1911 census page:
    https://automatedgenealogy.com/census...5&highlight=37

and the 1901 census page:
    https://automatedgenealogy.com/census...9&highlight=49

Gladys got off the boat & seems to have disappeared!

Adele

Default British home children sent to canada

Thank every one for your help
    I know there was not any brothers by the name of Frank Butcher and that Gladys appears on the 1901 census residing in Newport Monmouthshire Wales, is Mary Anne offering to pass on the information to an expert to see if he could find out any more than I allready know ?, if so that would be wonderful and very much appreciated, I have forms from Dr Barnado,s but I have a brother who is unsure whether he wants to know the truth, just in case its a bit unsavoury, he was practically brought up by Nan (Gladys mother) and is afraid that something terrible happened, but I need to know the truth and can handle it what ever the truth might be, but I might have to keep it from my bother.

Many thanks
    Robert.
    Last edited by maesglas/ssclub; 07-05-2009 at 9:58 AM. Reason: wrong word used

Mary Anne

Robert

Indeed I am. I am president of the British Isles Family History Society of Greater Ottawa, and we have a couple of members who have done, and continue to do, a lot of work on home children sent by various organizations. They are working for the most part with materials held by Library and Archives Canada. See our website at the address I gave you, where there are a couple databases and lots of links to other info. Our expert could point you to additional information that may be available in other places than the Barnardo's files.

The Barnardo's material can only be obtained by application to that organization, since they deem the records they hold to be 'private'. It is, IMHO, well worth asking for the file, since it can contain a great deal of information about the child and its experiences. Although some children may have had a bad time, many did not, and had caring families who looked after them well, educating and supporting them. The organizations also very often continued to monitor the homes where they were sent and removed children from homes where they were unhappy.

It seems to me that if Gladys and Randolph's father had died, and their mother felt she could not support them, she must have thought she was doing the best thing for them by sending them to Canada. Many, many home children went on to become successful adults in Canada, having been given an opportunity in a new country.

Good Luck

Mary Anne

Default British home children sent to canada

Thanks very very much Mary anne

do you need any more information from me or permission to do it on my behalf, what ever I need to do I will do, I am on my computer at least a few times a day as I retired from work early (almost 60) on health grounds.

Again I cant thank you enough, if its at all possible to fill in the blanks.

Robert Purnell

Wirral

On the UK Incoming Passenger lists, there are these entries:

Arriving in Liverpool on 29 Aug 1958 on the "Sylvania" from Montreal -
    BUTCHER Gladys, female, born 27/4/94, single, residence 39 Beaconsfield Terr, Northampton, Home duties, last permanent place of residence Canada, intended permanent residence UK.

Arriving in Liverpool on 25 May 1954 on the "Empress of Scotland" from Montreal -
    BUTCHER Gladys, 60, 33 Beaconsfield Road, Northampton, housewife.

There are 2 Gladys BUTCHERs born about that date. One is Gladys Ruby BUTCHER born June quarter 1894 Bedminster 5c 680, the other is Gladys Annie BUTCHER born September quarter 1894 Islington 1b 240.

Ron Lankshear

Default Have a look at this web site

Young Immigrants to Canada (Including Juveniles and Home Children)

Do contact the Home concerned they will have records I am sure.

Smile British home children set to canada

Thanks once again,

I think you have found who I am looking for Gladys Ruby Butcher born Bedminster 2nd quarter 1894, so the passenger on the 29th August 1958 must I think be her, how sad to see she is still single, but perhaps thats what she wanted, to make doubley sure I will have to get a copy of her birth certificate.

Could you tell me how you looked it up, thanks again.
    Robert Purnell
    P.S I am going to a look at new sites that have been suggested.
    Last edited by maesglas/ssclub; 08-05-2009 at 7:45 AM. Reason: tried to put a smiley face but got something different.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast