dmcr

Default Crow from South Reston to Canada

Hi I am new to this forum and needing help in Canada.

One of my grandfather's brothers went to Canada and became quite successful in the production of oranges. This is gained from family but no-one knows the name or an exact date when he traveled.

My grandfather and his brothers were born to John Edward Crow and Ede Thompson. The eldest brother John Thomas Crow was born abt 1891 at Hull Yorkshire, the three younger brothers Arthur Edward abt 1899, Alfred abt 1901 and William abt 1903 were born at South Reston Lincolnshire England.

My grandfather came to Australia from England in 1922 and I would expect that his brother may have made the trip to Canada around the same time.

I know it is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Dawn

BeeJay

Dawn, I don't see any John, Arthur, Alfred or William CROW on the passenger lists that seem to fit the birthdates you gave. If you want to try searching there's a notice in my Ancestry newsletter mentioning free access to Canadian passenger lists (1865-1935) until July 3rd, to celebrate our Canada Day.

I also looked in Ontario and B.C. BMDs for the brothers but didn't find any likely candidates. If he came here to grow oranges there's a good chance he lived in one of those two provinces!

Famous for offering help & advice

I can honestly say I don't think anybody has ever grown oranges successfully in Canada. Ours all come from California and Florida or overseas.. Even in parts of BC with a moderate climate people can not grow oranges. Sorry to doubt your family story, but if he came to Canada he soon would have taken up a new career.

Sue

dmcr

Default Crow from South Reston to Canada

Hi all,

Sorry I have been slow in getting back to everyone. I am afraid I have very little information to go on only a family story that one brother went to Canada and was quite sucessful in business there. My father thought it was to do with oranges but by the looks of your replies this might mean he either moved across the boarder to maybe California in America (or maybe they got it wrong and it was America he went to) or he made good (either he made good in a different industry or he really could grow oranges).

As I have not been able to track down what happened to any of the four brothers I do not have a clue which one went to Canada. I know it is a tough one and at this stage I do not know what else to try.

Thanks anyway.

Dawn