Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    maltonboy

Post Brown Howe

Just had a quick look on an OS map and there is a Brown Howe (house & buildings) on the S W shore of Coniston. i would have said a little bit too far away but need to check it up as i know the rural parishes can be quite large.

maltonboy

maltonboy

Red face Brown Howe

Hi,

can't help much more as my contact, who is born and bred in the area, agrees with me that it could be Brown Howe and thats about it, i'm sorry.

maltonboy

Astoria

I came across this site which may be of interest, if only for the nice photo.

https://www.leaney.org/lake_district_...hoto=20030302a

Old walking guides might be useful, Alfred Wainwright springs to mind. They could maybe be purchased online, they often have quite detailed maps naming houses and points of interest known only to locals.

Christine Knapp

Default Penny Forum

Hello Maltonboy,thankyou for your interest in the Penny family. I have the info you have posted I got it form the same site.Just wondering if that George Penny was connected to my Penny family seems close to Nibthwaite which is where some of my lot come from. Look forward to seeing what comes up next. Kind regards Christine.

Christine Knapp

Hi Georgie, did you get my reply, I did thank both you and Bob but am now wondering if I replied to myself, oh dear, I'm finding my way around the site slowly.Regards Christine

Christine Knapp

Hello Bob, thankyou for your reply,I'm still finding my way round the site and I sent your thankyou to myself I think.I am interested in the two Penny sisters who were teachers at Maryport. My mum Ruth Leece used to teach at Maryport. Look forward to hearing from you, and once again, thankyou. regards Christine

bob graham

Christine, sorry I've been so long. The historicaldirectories site isn't easy to use and faced with 130 hits I'de passed over that particular directory. Only when the other 11 directories had yielded nothing did I dive in - and guess what - it was the first hit. So Pigot and Co's Directory 1828-29 lists Margaret and Mary Penny as proprieters of a girls day school on King st in Maryport. The next directory is 1847 and there is no mention of them. In 1858 there is a Mrs Mary Penny running a coffee room on High St.
    I remember someone asking you if you'de found Moses on a census. Someone (and you have got to assume the same family) obviously liked biblical names as Esau features prominently in the directories from 1850's on as a joiner just outside Maryport.
    bob

Christine Knapp

Hello Georgie,just had a quick look at my info. The Moses I have on my tree is Moses Leece b.1848, son of my gt gt gt grandfather Thomas Leece and Jane Penny.I think there is also a Moses Penny somewhere but I need to find it.Hope this is of some interest to you. Moses also had quite a few siblings. Take care Regards Christine.

lizziep

Hi Christine
    Found your posting yesterday but had to wait til membership accepted to post a response. I am researching the Pennys of Colton and Satterthwaite, an area in the southern Lake District, formerly Lancashire and now Cumbria. Nibthwaite is a small village between Lakes Coniston and Windermere.
    I have James Penny bn about 1775 in Nibthwaite and a recorded marriage to Alice Nicholson on 15 May 1796 at Colton church (verified from parish registers). Children were George-a son, George, of James of Nibthwaite was baptised 18 Jun 1797 so this is almost certainly correct- , Alice about 1804 , Moses (1805) , Ann (1807) and William (1811). The last are not verified personally from records but from a distant relative's tree. I don't have Margaret but i do have a Jane bn 1815 daughter of John and Elizabeth Penny of Ivy Tree.
    Research online of parish records suggests his father may also have been James and he may have had a sister Agnes. Would that fit?
    There are an awful lot of Pennys in the area, possibly all related if you go far enough back-that is what i want to find out! Most were small farmers although later many went into mining. There is a landed branch (gentry) related to the Penny Machells, if I remember correctly. Will check out my records and post again.
    Keep up with the research.
    lizziep

georgiep

Hi
    I don't think my tree info will be of help but will list it anyway for the snoops...
    I have Agnes Penny bn Colton 1770. She married Mark Robson in 1791.

Georgie

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast