+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Settling in.
    Thanks

Default Penny Family from Lancashire.

Hi all, this is my first time on.I've been at it a wee while but as always we need help.I'm still searching for James Penny bn 1775 and his family. My gt gt grandmother Jane Penny bn 1815 at Nibthwaite had a twin sister.Jane Penny married Thomas Leece.The names of Coniston and Brown Hall keep popping up.I cannot connect this family beyond 1775. I'd love any help on offer. Thankyou.

Knowledgeable and helpful
    Thanks

Hi Christine
    When you say the names Coniston and Brown Hall keep popping up.
    Do you mean place names not surnames?

Tks

Georgie

Settling in.
    Thanks

Hi Georgie,thanks for the contact. Coniston is the name of the area near the Lake District where a lot of my family come from. Brown Hall is or was a building at Coniston where someone by the name of George Penny lived.The info I found said "it was the property and occassional residence of George Penny Esquire, it is a pleasant mansion in the township on the the banks of the lake Coniston, the chapel is now a school". I have a small map of the area and it looks like Nibthwaite is not far from there. The Penny families also lived at Penny Bridge Hall.My James Penny b. c 1775 and his wife Alice Nicholson were married at Colton.They then must have been at Nibthwaite and had my gt gt grandmother and her twin sister in 1815 and other children. I have been going round in circles with this family for a long time.There must be somebody connected to this family somewhere in the area. I am trying to work out if they are connected to James penny the Slaver or not.The other info I have been given has different dates for James Penny and Alice Nicholson.They are James penny 1772 forge carpenter,married Alice Nicholson b 1774. The children were George b.1797, Moses and Alice b. 1804, Margaret and Jane b. 1815, and Agnes b.1818.This seems to be more likely my family.Well I've prattled on enough. Be great if anyone out there can help us. I am doing this research for my mum who is 89 soon and loves to talk about back home. She was born in Keswick.Regards Christine.

Thanks

Thanks Christine for wonderful info.
    Do you have Moses in census at all?
    I plucked him as he was easy to find!
    He died in 1888 Ulverston rego.
    I'm sure I have Penny in my tree, fringe dwellers as I call them.
    My Cornthwaites etc came from all of the places you have listed.
    Please give your Mum my warmest wishes from Australia which I hope gives her a surprise.
    Cornies, my branch moved to Lpool, so did some Pennys.

Georgie oxo

Thanks

Hi again
    It looks like Alice is still alive in 1861 census
    Do you have the info at all?
    I'll list it anyway as it could help someone researching the same tree.
    Nibthwaite
    Alice 86 wid her occupation looks like farmer bn Colton
    daughter Margaret as Margret 43 unm farm servant bn Colton.

1851 Alice is on her own born Broughton living in Colton.

Best wishes
    Georgie

Starting to feel at home.
    Thanks

One problem here is that all that part of the country is actually Lancashire at that time so you may get more help on the lancashire boards. In Cumberland the name penny is most famous for being the Bishop of Carlisle around 1503. Maybe this where the money came from! If you look in some of the old directories at www.historicaldirectories.org you will find quite a few Penny's around coniston in 1829 (the earliest I've got for that area including a Joseph Penny Esq. so he must have been quite important.
    There was a Jane at Kirkland in 1829 and a school run by 2 penny sisters in Maryport.
    bob

Settling in.
    Thanks

Hello Georgie,just had a quick look at my info. The Moses I have on my tree is Moses Leece b.1848, son of my gt gt gt grandfather Thomas Leece and Jane Penny.I think there is also a Moses Penny somewhere but I need to find it.Hope this is of some interest to you. Moses also had quite a few siblings. Take care Regards Christine.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Thanks

Hi Christine
    Found your posting yesterday but had to wait til membership accepted to post a response. I am researching the Pennys of Colton and Satterthwaite, an area in the southern Lake District, formerly Lancashire and now Cumbria. Nibthwaite is a small village between Lakes Coniston and Windermere.
    I have James Penny bn about 1775 in Nibthwaite and a recorded marriage to Alice Nicholson on 15 May 1796 at Colton church (verified from parish registers). Children were George-a son, George, of James of Nibthwaite was baptised 18 Jun 1797 so this is almost certainly correct- , Alice about 1804 , Moses (1805) , Ann (1807) and William (1811). The last are not verified personally from records but from a distant relative's tree. I don't have Margaret but i do have a Jane bn 1815 daughter of John and Elizabeth Penny of Ivy Tree.
    Research online of parish records suggests his father may also have been James and he may have had a sister Agnes. Would that fit?
    There are an awful lot of Pennys in the area, possibly all related if you go far enough back-that is what i want to find out! Most were small farmers although later many went into mining. There is a landed branch (gentry) related to the Penny Machells, if I remember correctly. Will check out my records and post again.
    Keep up with the research.
    lizziep

Thanks

Hi
    I don't think my tree info will be of help but will list it anyway for the snoops...
    I have Agnes Penny bn Colton 1770. She married Mark Robson in 1791.

Georgie

Settling in.
    Thanks

Hi Lizzie, thanks heaps for your interest. I have been going round in circles with the penny family for a long time.My Jane Penny born 1815 @ Colton had a twin sister called Margaret and another sister Agnes bn. 10 August 1818. Jane Penny b.26th Feb 1815 married Thomas Leece. Their children were... William Penny Leece, James, Thomas, John,Alice, Moses, Mathaias,Margaret and Joseph.All I know is that Jane born 1815 has James Penny and wife Alice... as her parents..I have found a John Machell of Hollow Oak married Isabella Penny of Penny Bridge. He was trustee of iron ore mines @ Nibthwaite. Is this your lot? I also found a James penny Machell who married a Anne Penny of Liverpool. As you say, they are all over the place, I just can't put mine together, most frustrating. Talk soon. Regards Christine

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast