piggolo

Default Travel method to New Zealand & return

Hi,
    I've found passenger information for my gt.grandmother from Southampton to Auckland New Zealand in 1925 on Arawa which is great.

I'm still puzzled because I believe she came back to the UK occasionally (for important occasions) and returned once again to New Zealand. I can't find any trace of futher passages between the UK & NZ in either direction although they definitely occured.

Surely flights didn't become available until post 1945? I'm guessing therefore there may have been connecting sailings to somewhere in Europe. Would that make sense ? Can anyone offer any ideas to identify where I might find the information.

Thanks,
    Nick

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by piggolo
    I'm guessing therefore there may have been connecting sailings to somewhere in Europe.
    You're correct. The information presently available is from Board of Trade records for sailings between the UK and foreign shores.

If someone hopped over the channel and travelled from Italy or Southern France; or northern ports in France, Belgium, Holland, Germany then any records would presumably be stored in the National Archives of those countries (If indeed those countries required such records to be maintained).