dilwara

Smile US census 1860 NY

I think I may have found the right entry for my g-g-Grandfather and family in the US 1860 census for New York city. The area is listed as 2nd District 16th Ward, New York, New York. I am unfamiliar with New York so can anyone tell me where that would be on a map and the name of the area, or where I can find this information?

My g-grandfather Henry Foley was born in New York in 1856 and the family moved back to England (Clifton/Bristol area) in 1860's. I was unable to get a New York birth certificate but I did find Henry listed in the Civil Service Evidence of Age files and have ordered copies of the documents from Soc. of Genealogists. I'm still waiting for it to arrive but I'm told there is an extract from baptism registers plus a couple of other things. His two younger brothers born in New York are also listed. I was absolutely thrilled.

racing girl

Hi
    Take a look at this website, the Wards listed are from 1800, but Ward 16 looks like Upper Manhattan, in modern terms I'd say it is in between Upper Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Ward Map

Also look at these pages, more New York maps than you can shake a stick at!!

New York maps - The website owner might also be prepared to answer questions.

Hope they're of some use.
    Brenda

racing girl

A bit of Googling brought this up, it was in Manhattan:

"The 16th ward ran from W.14th Street north to W.26th Street from 6th Avenue to the Hudson River."

Brenda

dilwara

Thanks so much for your help. I looked at the maps and found the Manhattan area described. Wonderful maps of old New York on that website.