Thread: captain redmill

redmile4

Default captain redmill

Hello, can anyone help me with info. Captain George Redmill HMS Polyphemus Battle Trafalgar?

stickymone

Hi Redmile4

Go to the TNA site you can search for officers who served during the battle of trafalgar

He is listed with the christian Robert not George

Stickeymone

stickymone

I've just had another look, if you go to Search the Catologue and put the name Robert Redmill in you get four hits which look like they all relate to your man through his career up to his death should make interesting reading

Stickymone

MarkJ

Wikipedia has a page on Captain Robert Redmill and one about the Polyphemus.

Mark

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

I have a passing interest in HMS Polyphemus as she was the only ship at Trafalgar built in the Sheerness Dockyard and given her size I believe that several of my ancestors helped build her. I give her a mention on my website, "Of Trafalgar etc". As a result I was contacted by a chap called John Amess who had written a report on Captain Redmill. I'll PM his e-mail address.
    Captain Redmill was taken ill during the battle and command passed to his First Lieutenant George Moubray. After the battle Polyphemus was the first to take HMS Victory in tow.
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Finbar
    According to this link (an ecclesiastical court report), Robert Redmill died on 19th February 1819.
    If it is the same man, his will could be downloaded from The National Archives brief mention of the case is made in the London Gazette