Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SearchingSadler

thanks for your replies

the annoying thing is, I don't have father in laws number and no way to contact, and he didn't sound like he'd want to contact his siblings either to ask them.

Most of the siblings are still alive, so can't name them on here, but obvious father in laws father has passed so could name him.

I'm going back to the drawing board.

I'm looking for a Fred(erick) Shepherd b. Nottingham @1920ish (father in law born 1941-ish) yeah! don't even know def year father in law born, yea gods! Fred married Edna and had 3 boys, 2 girls. One of the boys thats deceased was a Raymond.

If anyone else can help with that would be great.

Can't let it go lol, like a dog with a bone

Wirral

Quote Originally Posted by SearchingSadler View Post
    I've tracked dob for children of a Shepherd/Hallam and all are the correct names for father in laws brothers/sisters, however the eldest was b. 1916 (father in law 1941) and hubby swears blind, this bloke is still alive and roughly the same age as father in law!
    SHEPHERD is one of those names that often varies in its spelling, even in the 20thC. Have you tried SHEPHARD, SHEPPARD, SHEPPERD? Assuming your father is not suffering from any sort of memory loss, could there be other reasons for his lack of information - eg illegitimacy, an unhappy childhood?

Nicolina

amazingly a search of FreeBMD for Raymond Shepherd in Nottinghamshire shows one in 1929 where the mother's name was HALLAM!!!!!

Thomasin

How sure was he about the Edna? I can't find Edna at all, the nearest I have got is Ida - Ida Harrison m. Frederick H Shepherd Dec qu. 1931 Nottingham 7b 886.

Thomasin
    Last edited by Thomasin; 13-04-2009 at 6:06 PM. Reason: forgot to enter the date

Peter_uk_can

I know the feeling, it is frustrating when you know they know but they will not tell you what they know so you know too.

But I guess it's a bit like "Egyptian Heiroglyphic Translation", some folk are not as passionate as others about it.

But don't give up, and try writing down what you do know, or even think you know, even spattered with what you don't know, let folk have an opportunity to read it, sometimes even the sternest mutes cannot help but put us right.. :-)

{ I have lost my smilies :-( }

jeeb

Hi Searching sadler,

This is probably what you are looking for:-

Marriage Frederick Shepherd & Edna Hallam Jul/Sept 1928 Nottingham vol 7b page 742

children-
    Oct/Dec 1929
    Apr/June 1932
    Apr/June 1933
    Jul/Sept 1937
    Oct/Dec 1941

All registered Nottingham

Jeremy
    Last edited by MarkJ; 14-04-2009 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Names of living persons removed - but ref left for research.

jeeb

Default Frederick Shepherd

Hi Searchingsadler.

Assuming Frederick Shepherd originated from the Nottingham area then there is only one suitable birth registration for him:-

Frederick Shepherd Jan/Mar 1912 Basford vol 7b page 599 mother's maiden name Hudson.

This would have made him only 16 when he married, but it was legal for boys to marry at that age as it is today with consent of parents. There was a change in the law in 1928 concerning age at marriage but not sure of the details at present.

Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by Wirral View Post
    SHEPHERD is one of those names that often varies in its spelling, even in the 20thC. Have you tried SHEPHARD, SHEPPARD, SHEPPERD? Assuming your father is not suffering from any sort of memory loss, could there be other reasons for his lack of information - eg illegitimacy, an unhappy childhood?
    My grandmother died having told my cousin (who contracted this "disease" years before I did) "What I know about the family goes with me" - it did. But now I think I know the reason. When one of my cousins produced a child out of wedlock my grandmother refused to acknowledge it as one of her great grandchildren. When grandmother's father died (Frederick Myers) when grandmother was in her teens a fellow attended the funeral and announced that he was his brother (Duncan Mackenzie). He was given some of the deceased's clothing and hurried on his way. Now Frederick's mother's maiden name was Julia McKenzie so I think you can see the line of reasoning behind these actions. The irony of it all is that Julia McKenzie married Alexander Mackenzie and Duncan was one of the five children born of this union. Alexander abandoned Julia (at least that must have been how she felt) and she then had three children to Frederick Myers before he died leaving her with a family all under the age of 15, including my grandmother's father. She then had a child to Hahneman Rogers whom she later married upon the death of her first husband.

I just wish I had this figured out before my grandmother escaped my many questions.

A round about way of agreeing with Wirral's suggestion of a reason for silence.
    daryl

jeeb

Question Bothered!

Hi Searchingsadler,
    Just wondered why you have not 'bothered' to respond to our replies. You have certainly signed in more than once since we bothered to respond to your question.

Jeremy

marmaduke123

I think genealogy is it's own reward, regardless of the interest of other family members. If you want to continue with exploring your husband's family do so, if you need the interest and involvement of others, maybe not.

Anne

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast