Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jorom Wheatley

toggle

Default Jorom Wheatley

I am looking for the above person.
    He was born Horsham Sussex 1833. He was in Sussex for the 1841 (as Jorom) & 1851 (as Joram) census's, married Sarah Ann Ranfield 1855 at Rawcliffe NR Goole Yorkshire, and was on the 1861 census as a seaman (as Joraw) at Cape de La Hague, ship "Theodore" - there was a Master Mariner, mate, 4 seaman and a apprentice - a small trader?
    After this, he disappears, he could have been lost at sea, but the remainder of the crew (or at least some people of the same name, age and at there place's of birth) appear in their birth places in the 1871 census, so the ship was not wrecked.
    However, if he was lost at sea, then he is "lost", in which case, Sarah Ann "should be" on the 1871 census as a widow (unless she was sure and re-married quickly) instead she is there with her 2 daugthers, at her parents - Mr and Mrs Ayre.

Any help would be appreciated.

floggle

sueannbowen

Hi - this is a really wild shot. I don't suppose he went to work on a passenger ship? He might have been out of the country when Sarah ann was living with her parents. There was a lot of migration in and out at that time and I had an ancestor who worked on one of the big liners. He never showed up on a census either.

Lizzy9

Quote Originally Posted by toggle View Post
    However, if he was lost at sea, then he is "lost", in which case, Sarah Ann "should be" on the 1871 census as a widow (unless she was sure and re-married quickly) instead she is there with her 2 daugthers, at her parents - Mr and Mrs Ayre.
    Hi Toggle,

I am a little confused by your information; I think I've found your ancestors on census returns however, Sarah Ann and her two dau's are with Sarah's parents Mr and Mrs Ranfield, not Mr and Mrs Ayre. Sarah Ann's dau Mary E Wheatley is with the Ayre's in 1881, she's entered as niece on the census, further searching has found a marriage between Samuel Ayre and Elizabeth Ranfield. Am I on the right trail?

Lizzy9

Have you followed Harriet and her sister Mary through the census records?

Lizzy9

Sarah may have died in 1879. Sarah Wheatley, est birth year 1831, died Jul-Sept 1879, death registered in Goole. 9c/354

Mutley

I've only found the same as Lizzy9. Sorry.

It may have been that between the 1861 and 1871 he was lost on another ship and in 1871 Sarah did not know that for sure.
    If she died before 1881 she would have been unable to state widow on that census.

Do you have the daughter's marriage certificates or Sarah's death certificate? These often indicate the death of parent or spouse.

toggle

In order of replys -
    Sueannbowen
    That is a posibilty, but it would have to be a small ship, because as I said "there was a Master Mariner, mate, 4 seaman and a apprentice - a small trader?"

Lizzy9
    My appoliges. That was from memory and not from notes! Yes you are on the right track, and the marriage is new thankyou.

Mutley
    No certificates, as I am tracking Jorom, Sarah is "just a side issue", but I take your point about "these often indicate the death of parent or spouse".

Thankyou everybody

floggle

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by toggle
    That is a posibilty, but it would have to be a small ship, because as I said;there was a Master Mariner, mate, 4 seaman and a apprentice - a small trader?
    If you look at the cover of the census schedule, you'll see that the Theodore was a 141 ton schooner employed in the coasting trade; the ship belonged to the port of Rye.The Crew List Indexing Project (CLIP) has made its index of crew lists from 1861-1913 available on the pay-per-view site 'findmypast'; you might try a search in case he continued to work at sea after the census.

toggle

Thumbs up

Thankyou Geoffers.
    I was looking at "Ancestry" who do not seem to show census covers? The information you give is very useful, and I will now be looking at the 'findmypast' site.

floggle

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by toggle
    I was looking at "Ancestry" who do not seem to show census covers?
    Sorry can't help with that as I wont use Ancestry; the covers are available on at least one other site and also on ths CDs sold by sites such as 'The Parish Chest'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast