Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cassie2008

Default Brickwall - Joseph and Emma Glaspy/Gillespie

Hi
    I have had this brickwall for quite some time now and cant seem to get any further with it. Emma Glaspy was born c1843 and her father was Joseph Glaspy born c 1810 (that is just a guess - could be different either way I suppose) but as I have been unable to get any further with him at all. Emma was my 2 x great grandmother. I think I have found Emma's birth place as the Wirral in 1843, listed as Emma Gellispie.
    Thank you very much.

Growing old Disgracefully

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Cassie2008 View Post
    Hi
    I have had this brickwall for quite some time now and cant seem to get any further with it. Emma Glaspy was born c1843 and her father was Joseph Glaspy born c 1810 (that is just a guess - could be different either way I suppose) but as I have been unable to get any further with him at all. Emma was my 2 x great grandmother. I think I have found Emma's birth place as the Wirral in 1843, listed as Emma Gellispie.
    Thank you very much.
    Hi
    If this is the one you need to get the cert. to find out if Joseph is her father,
    Emma Gellispie, 1843, Jun qtr, Wirral, Cheshire, Volume no 19, Page no 320

Sandy

samgibbons56

Quote Originally Posted by Cassie2008 View Post
    Hi
    Thank you very much.
    Hello
    There is an Emma Gillespie bn abt 1843 on the 1851 in Cheshire (sorry no sub to A*) and an Emma Glasby bn abt 1845 residing in Notts.
    Worth checking to see if father is Joseph.
    The Wirral birth is on Cheshire BMD also but no further info.
    HTH
    Regards
    Sam
    Last edited by samgibbons56; 28-03-2009 at 2:24 PM. Reason: added info

Growing old Disgracefully

Smile

Hi

What other information do you have, let me know as I think Ive found the Emma Gellispie who's birth I have just given you on the 1851 & 1861 Census with Father John and Mother Emma. If this is right then its not your Emma.

Sandy

Brick wall demolition expert!

Emma was my 2 x great grandmother. I think I have found Emma's birth place as the Wirral in 1843, listed as Emma Gellispie.
    Most of us work progressively backwards so at the point you are at with your 2 x gt Grandmother you would normally have some census records of her when she was married. If she always said she was born at the Wirrall shen you have it.

There is an issue with the surname Glaspy. Entering just the surname in G*** R***** and searching all censuses get just one result.

Similarly entering just the surname into FreeBMD births gets just a handful of results.

Accordingly identifying your Emma's birthplace is critical in attributing a different name to her.

janbooth

Default Emma GLASPY

Hi Cassie,

Did you ever get the birth certificate for Wilfred BELK and if so what info did it give you?

I think the Emma whose birth was registered in the Wirral in 1843 is the daughter of a John & Emma who are living in Tranmere in the 1851 census. Emma is shown as being born in Eastham which comes under the registration district of Wirral, so I don't think she can be your Emma.

I can also knock out the Emma GILLESPY I found in Durham living with Joseph, Joiner and his wife Mary. She is living with her widowed mother Mary in Gateshead in the 1851 and is still in Durham in the 1861 census described as an unmarried Nurse.

All of which does not help knock down your brickwall at all except in a negative way.

Can you just refresh my memory as to all the details shown on George & Emma's marriage certificate? Any clue in the witnesses to the marriage? And the details on Wilfred's birth certificate/

Janet

Cassie2008

Default Emma Glaspy

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    Hi
    If this is the one you need to get the cert. to find out if Joseph is her father,
    Emma Gellispie, 1843, Jun qtr, Wirral, Cheshire, Volume no 19, Page no 320

Sandy
    Hi thanks. I have Emma's marriage certificate,when she became Belk, which is how I worked out her date of birth to be 1843. Her father is listed as Joseph and he is a stonemason. I think you are right. I will have to get the birth certifcate as I am now stuck. I have been "told off" for the amount of money I have spent on certifcates so I was trying to gather info another way but I will have to try that - I do have quite a collection now but I will just have to secretly add one more!

Cassie2008

Default Emma

Quote Originally Posted by samgibbons56 View Post
    Hello
    There is an Emma Gillespie bn abt 1843 on the 1851 in Cheshire (sorry no sub to A*) and an Emma Glasby bn abt 1845 residing in Notts.
    Worth checking to see if father is Joseph.
    The Wirral birth is on Cheshire BMD also but no further info.
    HTH
    Regards
    Sam
    Hi thanks very much for that info. It has been very frustrating not to be able to get any further with Emma. I will hopefully be able to put together the above and try to work out which certificate I can buy as I have been told not to add to my list of certificates any further! I have only been able to get as far as I have through buying lots of marriage and birth certificates, but I suppose it is hard for people not interested in family history to understand!

Cassie2008

Quote Originally Posted by Raffaele View Post
    Most of us work progressively backwards so at the point you are at with your 2 x gt Grandmother you would normally have some census records of her when she was married. If she always said she was born at the Wirrall shen you have it.

There is an issue with the surname Glaspy. Entering just the surname in G*** R***** and searching all censuses get just one result.

Similarly entering just the surname into FreeBMD births gets just a handful of results.

Accordingly identifying your Emma's birthplace is critical in attributing a different name to her.
    Hi thanks. Emma was Belk when married and they lived in Sheffield. She did put birthplace as Sheffield, but I found out when I was researching my Owen family that people did not always put the correct birthplace, age or sometimes name, I had to buy a number of certificates for those ancestors which traced back to Oxfordshire and Wales when they had always put Pontefract as place of birth.

Cassie2008

Default Emma Glaspy

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    Hi Cassie,

Did you ever get the birth certificate for Wilfred BELK and if so what info did it give you?

I think the Emma whose birth was registered in the Wirral in 1843 is the daughter of a John & Emma who are living in Tranmere in the 1851 census. Emma is shown as being born in Eastham which comes under the registration district of Wirral, so I don't think she can be your Emma.

I can also knock out the Emma GILLESPY I found in Durham living with Joseph, Joiner and his wife Mary. She is living with her widowed mother Mary in Gateshead in the 1851 and is still in Durham in the 1861 census described as an unmarried Nurse.

All of which does not help knock down your brickwall at all except in a negative way.

Can you just refresh my memory as to all the details shown on George & Emma's marriage certificate? Any clue in the witnesses to the marriage? And the details on Wilfred's birth certificate/

Janet
    Hi thanks for your help. It is helpful to weed out some of the Emmas because I have been warned not to purchase certificates! (apparently a waste of money) So it does help a lot because i can just sneakily purchase one more and now I know not to get those certs
    I got the name of Emmas father from the marriage certificate and also her age, but could this be wrong also? Like on the census could people not always be truthful on the marriage certificates. Her father was Joseph and listed as a stonemason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast