Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Images problem

busyglen

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    Glenys

I am a complete computer dunce but like you I use Front Page to run a (non genealogical) website, which has quite a few photos. I am pretty sure some of these have originally been bitmaps, because I have definitely used Paint to save them as .jpgs, and I seem to remember being offered the upper case .JPEG options and clicking on it. However, I have just told my computer to search for any file with the .JPEG suffix and it can't come up with a single one, so maybe they all get stored as .jpgs anyway? Try going into Front Page and just clicking on Insert Picture from File and then clicking on the desired photo, without trying to type in the file name. If it brings up the photo you may find it has interpreted it as .jpg anyway.
    Thanks for your reply Sue.

I tried your suggestion and inserted the picture without typing the file name in (which is what I did before) but it didn't change it to lower case. It also added it to the image folder with upper case. I know that the coding will show upper case, and the photo in the image folder and thumbnails will match, but I believe that when everything is uploaded, it has to be in lower case. Never mind, I'll have another go when I have more time. It's so frustrating as I put on several photos recently with no hassle, but they were scans I had done of the photos and so were jpegs. Sigh!

I think this will be the last time I do another website, I can't stand the stress!

Thanks for trying to help, I appreciate it.

Glenys

Hi Glenys
    You say the files were zipped. Did you extract the files before you started to save them by a different name?

MarkJ

Quote Originally Posted by busyglen View Post
    . I CAN amend it in my images folder, but it says it may make it unstable. I suppose I could try it and see if it uploads ok.

Glenys
    I would make a backup of the folder then make the changes. Yes, it will probably complain about casuing possible problems if you change the suffix bit, but a simple change from .JPEG to .jpg shouldn't make any difference. You can't simply rename picture.bmp (a bitmap) to picture.jpg (a jpeg), but changing the case from upper to lower or even .jpeg to .jpg isn't going to make a difference I think - the jpeg file format can be named JPEG, JPG, jpeg or jpg and they should be interchangeable. The case of the suffix is only really important if you use a Unix based system (either your own machine or the server where you store the website files) - Unix systems, such as Macs and Linux machines treat different case as different files, but Windows doesn't. MyFile in Windows is the same as Myfile or myfile - but in Unix, each of those is a completely different file

Enjoy the holiday Glen! If the problem is still outstanding when you get back (or earlier if you want) - just shout

Mark

Mary Young

I have a feeling there's an option in FrontPage to change ALL filenames to lower case - this might be a workaround (can't confirm as I don't have access to FP at present).

busyglen

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Wilson View Post
    Hi Glenys
    You say the files were zipped. Did you extract the files before you started to save them by a different name?
    Thereby hangs a tale Neil!!

As they were shown individually once I'd opened the zip, I selected one, and proceeded to rename it and changed to jpeg. (I had no idea that you couldn't automatically change from a bmp to jpeg! Mark.) Just shows you how little I know! I did this with each photo and put each one into the web page, with the photos going into the images/thumbnail files. They looked ok, but I then realised that they were showing as JPEG not jpg. ie lower case. I knew that with FP it has to be in lower case, and I assumed that this difference wouldn't allow the photos to be viewed. So, I deleted them all, and tried to start again. After fiddling around, and not getting anywhere, I eventually realised that when I clicked on the original Zip and opened the files, all of the pictures were the same view....so, yes I do now know that you can't mess around with a zip file. Having said that, I clicked on one and copied to desktop and worked with it and then copied it to a new location with a new name, so I would have thought the original would have stayed the same?

Anyway, I do still have the photos that I worked on and subsequently deleted, as they are still in my recycled bin fortunately.

I guess I am sadly lacking in the logic department......even if I did manage to sort out another problem I'd caused with the last lot of photos, with your help Neil, for which I was very grateful. I've added more since with no problems and was really chuffed, until this last few that were sent me!

I don't have any more time now until after we get back next weekend, so I shall have to work out what to do then. I think it might be best if I ask the person to re-send them to me and start afresh. If they are bmp, and I can't change them to jpeg, how do I convert them to upload? I guess I may be asking Mark to try one for me and see what happens.

Thanks anyway.

Glenys

busyglen

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Young View Post
    I have a feeling there's an option in FrontPage to change ALL filenames to lower case - this might be a workaround (can't confirm as I don't have access to FP at present).
    Thanks Mary. I know that when I upload the files, there is an option to change all to lower case which I always leave ticked. I suppose I could try one photo without changing it, but it would have to match with the coding. I'll have a go when I get back to see if it works.

Many thanks.

Glenys

gibo

Exclamation FILE SUFFIX

Hi,
    One thing that could be relevant to the confusion - are the file names showing correctly?
    The default in XP and Vista is to treat the user like an idiot and hide system files and the file name suffix e.g picture1.bmp or picture1.jpg shows as the same name picture1. The drop down list in programs may give you options for suffix/type but you can't confirm the result by looking at the file name. To correct this you should have system files and file names show in full. It is logical to me that you should see all the files on your own computer! I guess you could only show file names in full but system files showing is of value for other issues you may have with your computer e.g. burning complete files to cd/dvd etc? This is a precaution to the user who deletes files that they don't understand are critical to the operation of the computer. NOT ONE FOR THE KIDDIES TO PLAY WITH otherwise your computer may become an expensive paper weight (and no good for anything else!)
    Now there is a disclaimer for the remainder of my little story.

TO SHOW FULL FILE NAMES = find "view files" tab. Similar setting/location in XP and Vista.
    Vista location = My Computer/Tools/Folder Options/View
    then ensure you check the boxes, "show hidden files/folders" and uncheck "hide extensions of known types" and optionally "hide operating system files.." (warnings will come up but if you careful it is ok to progress). Once you have done this dont delete system files that will no longer be invisible to you! Good luck.

I don't believe for a moment that you are a computer dunce
    If you are feeling VERY brave you could always be old fashioned and dabble in the world of command line instructions.
    To enter this wonderful world (in XP) Start:All Programs:Accessories:Command Prompt.
    This opens a window into which you can type commands
    You will need to transfer to the directory (folder in more modern parlance) using the command cd (Change directory)
    Once in the correct directory you can view the names of the files using the command dir.
    If your files are photo1.JPEG, photo2.JPEG, photo3.JPEG etc you can change them all in one command
    There is a command to rename but I would recommend using copy as if you make a mistake then at least you still have what you started with

In the directory with the files photo1.JPEG etc
    type in
    copy *.JPEG *.jpg
    where there is a space after copy and after JPEG

(This is what I would do in Linux too but the commands are different)

to get out of command line type in exit

If you want to try this and need more explanation just yell.

Of course with only a few files to change the method of renaming mentioned by others - the .jpg etc bit (the extension) is how Windows knows what type of file it is and, as pointed out by others BMP and JPEG are different file types much like Excel (XLS) and Word (DOC) files are different. Modern operating systems can handle JPEG as an extension and treats it the same as JPG but in ye olden days three letters for an extension was your limit. Filenames (not including the extension) were limited to 8 characters - some things I don't miss ..... much
    daryl (perhaps showing his age)

busyglen

Thank you Daryl & Gibo for your replies.

I'm very sorry that I have been remiss in not mentioning that this problem has now been resolved. Due to a very quick response from Mark, whereby he copied and resent me the folder, I was able to add them to my images folder and had no problems this time when I uploaded them.

Thank you both for your advice however, as I am always interested in ways to do things when stuck, and I am sure these can always help others who may have a similar problem.

Glenys

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12