Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    lisagrace

summer,
    i have a feeling our paths will cross at some stage, someone mailed me a while ago and said that two cowies fled the north to avoid capture obviously they did something serious and ended up in nacton suffolk thats the area i am searching so you never know there must be a link somewhere!!

Summer

Will keep in touch!
    I'd be interested to hear your new developments as well, especially if the story proves to have some truth in it!!
    Cheers,
    Summer.

deembee

Default Cowey down under

Hi,
    If you are ibn Victoria you should go to the history centre in Geelong. Yhere is some information on the Cowie who helped found Geelong, then moved up to Steiglitz. The creek is named after him! His parents sailed to Tasmania and there is a book by one of his sisters. Think they travelled from London. I spotted it when over there visiting daughter. Small world and quite a jolt when you see your family name in print on the other side of the world.
    I think one of the Cowie family lisa-grace and myself have been researching became a mariner and ended up quite well off with a house in Greenwich, now part of London.

Summer

Hi Deembee, (and also Lisagrace)
    I am in Vic but time is scarce with a newborn + toddler!!! Would love to spend more time on this hobby/obsession!

I think I know of the Cowie's you're referring to. I use the https://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home website and have come across LOADS of articles on the Tassie/Geelong/Cowie's creek families, so that site may be a good one for you if your research leads to Australia, and these particular Cowie's! One was a JP and lawyer I think so comes up heaps in all the court cases, etc. Also https://www.pictureaustralia.org/index.html comes up with a few Cowies too - I found military pics of my ancestors on that site [Cowey]. I also have mariners in my lot. Robert (Master) who I've found quite a bit on on the web (not all good!!!!! wrecks and unnatural acts!! ) and also James Cowie or Cowey who was a merchant seaman. Haven't any info on him yet apart from his occupation on his wife's death cert and son's marriage cert. Lucky you to come from the upper classes!!!
    Hope I can get to Geelong one day, especially if I can find a link to my crew.
    Last edited by Summer; 26-08-2009 at 1:54 PM. Reason: omission

lisagrace

hi deembee and summer,

been off for a while, i had to let my obsession with family history while we decorated and fitted a new kitchen still not finished but the withdrawal symptoms are back. quite interesting what youve said about the australian link i'm going to get my stuff out now and have a look bare with me so i can refresh myself on where i was.
    oh i noticed i put my e-mail address on here and it was taken off sorry brit-gen i forgot!

MarkJ

Quote Originally Posted by lisagrace View Post
    oh i noticed i put my e-mail address on here and it was taken off sorry brit-gen i forgot!
    It wasn't removed, just edited in such a way as to deter spammers from collecting it. We leave the address, but modify it by using words, such as AT in place of the @ symbol etc.
    There is no rule preventing you posting your email address, but unless we edit it in this way, you will soon find yourself a target for unwanted spam emails.

Mark

Summer

Hi Lisagrace and Deembee,
    Any Cowie/Cowey updates for me??
    I got to see the grave of my 6Xgreat grandies at Christmastime at Tynemouth Priory. Very exciting. Still no more info though! Have moved countries since (in NZ now temporarily) Focus has changed slightly. Writing is now focus of the family history!
    Hope ye are well,
    Summer.

lisagrace

hi deembee are you still registered on here looking for the cowie's we spoke along time ago

lisagrace

hi summer are you still researching the cowie line.

Summer

Quote Originally Posted by lisagrace View Post
    hi summer are you still researching the cowie line.
    Sure am! Although my primary research is centred around James Picken Cowey, my great grandfather. Ww1 and ww2 veteran. I'm writing his biography, 5 chapters in.

If you wanna check out some pics of my 5xgreat grandparents grave forward to Jim and his life visit www.
    facebook.com/afightinglife

How are you getting on? I'm now back in Australia.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast