Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Default St Marylebone Workhouse.

Hi

I have been researching my 4xgreat grandmother Sarah Bradford who was admitted to the above named workhouse in December 1848 aged 57. Her reason for admittance was "Illness" and the person who committed her was a W Daniell.

I have read many intersting things about this workhouse of Peter Higginbothams site.

Sarah died after 2 and a quarter years there in February 1851 aged 60 of cerebral disease, presumabely a stroke. I am trying to determine what illness she had to make her be committed. I wonder if it was some sort of mental disorder, or just health problems. I have tried tracing W Daniell on the census but cannot yet find any likely match as if I did, this may help in finding what authority he had, whether medical or poor law.

Ben

Marie C..

Hi Ben,
    Was Sarah committed or admitted?
    Presumably the person who admitted her was the workhouse master. Could he have been the W. Daniell.
    I think a person might be committed to an asylum but would be admitted to a workhouse. She might have been poor and unable to care for herself and without a family who could house her. Maybe she was going du lally tap and was too much for family to manage.
    Or are you thinking that the W. Daniell was a relative or a medical person?
    Why do you think she had a mental illness? M

Hi MarieC

Long time no speak.

I have just had another look at the workhouse admission register and the W in front of W Daniell looks more like an N.

I wonder if I could upload that fragment of the image. I am concerned about copyright but a small fragment of the scan wouldnt hurt. It looks more like an N and there was a Neville Daniell living in Marylebone according to a directory of the 1840s and he was a surgeon and dentist. All other entries to the workhouse were done by "Master" and it is only Sarah's that says N or W Daniell.

She did have her two sons but her elder one was married and I think the younger one was at home as he was 20 by December 1848. Maybe he couldnt cope with looking after her so the parish became involved.

Ben

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by benny1982 View Post
    I wonder if I could upload that fragment of the image. I am concerned about copyright but a small fragment of the scan wouldnt hurt.
    A small fragment should be fine, Ben.

[IMG][/IMG]

Ben

Marie C..

Well it could be Mr. or N. I would plump for Mr.
    What do you think?
    Maybe she was just old and frail and poor and remember families too were scraping along and could barely support themselves let alone their oldies.
    Remember too that strokes happen to anyone ,in all walks of life and across the whole range of intelligence.... and suddenly! Your Sarah might have had a little stroke which just incapacitated her a bit so that she couldn't manage to live alone and later was felled by the bigger one.
    But we are just surmising.
    Did that workhouse later become a hospital?

Hi

The workhouse stayed as a workhouse and infirmary until it became an asylum once workhouses were abolished in 1930.

In December 1848, Sarah's youngest son William Coombs was aged 20 and may still been at home when his mum was taken ill. Obviously he either couldnt cope after her or she was too ill to stay at home so was admitted. The admission order just says "Illness" as the cause of admission.

Yes she may have had a smaller stroke that incapacitated her then another one finished her off in 1851.

Ben

Hi

I am wondering if the Mr Daniell was the surgeon on the 1851 census. Maybe as a doctor he was seeing Sarah and then admitted her. Sarah seemed to be in good health until about 1847 or 1848 and then was admitted in December.

There was a list of all Marylebone residents recieveing poor relief in October 1847 and Sarah was not on the list.

Ben

murrays53

Default Marylebone workhouse (86 East Street)

Hiya, hope you don't mind me added to thread but wasn't sure where else to ask the question!

I too am interested in the workhouse as we are researching my mum's family tree and have worked it back to great great grandfather who came over from Germany in the 1870's. In the 1881 Census it says he (Berthold Jerono) lived with his wife (Kate) and son (Frank) at 86 East Street but we are unsure when they left and exactly what happened to them during their stay as Berthold does not appear on another Census until 1901. I just wondered if you could maybe help try and build up a better picture for us so that we can move on up the tree!!!

Many thanks

Michelle

pennydog

You can find them on the 1891 census at 7 Alma Street in West Ham - RG12 piece 1315 folio 86 page 36

Berthold is a widower with sons Frank b1878 and Berthold b1882

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast