Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    pennydog

Berthold remarries in the June qtr 1891 in West Ham 4a 274

To either Emma Annie Davidson or Elizabeth Hart

I would guess that Emma Annie was the correct bride as in 1901 his wife is enumerated as Annie, but only the mc would confirm this.

murrays53

Thank you so much, that has answered my question precisely!! It is so difficult and I am fairly new to the family tree thing, think I've done really well so far but just couldn't work out what had happened as couldn't find him!!!!!

Michelle

murrays53

Hello again, have got pretty far again this morning and worked out where they all were etc and even found a bankruptcy order for berthold in 1896!! i cannot find the two boys in 1901 though. I can see that berthold was married to annie and they have a daughter pauline together and 3 servants but no sign of the boys frank 1878 and berthold 1882. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Reputation beyond repute

Marylebone workhouse (86 East Street)
    I don't understand what you're saying. 86 East Street, Marylebone was not the workhouse. The workhouse was in Northumberland Street. 86 East Street appears to be a normal house, multi-occupied as was commonly the case.

pennydog

I have has a quick look, I cannot see Frank on the 1901 census but he is on the 1911, a boarder with Frederich Charles Glasser b1861

RG14 - PN1025 - SN501 FMP has him has 'Jerond'

pennydog

Found Frank in 1901 RG13 - 423 - 42 - 6 working as a barman in The Swan, Lambeth.

FMP has him as 'Jerone' b1876

murrays53

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    I don't understand what you're saying. 86 East Street, Marylebone was not the workhouse. The workhouse was in Northumberland Street. 86 East Street appears to be a normal house, multi-occupied as was commonly the case.
    Hi Peter, yes I thought it was just a normal residence but have found on 2 websites info about 86 East Street being part of the workhouse like an extension block and being known specifically as 86 East Street!!

murrays53

Thank you so much for your help, the info you've given me so far has filled in all gaps, where do you get all your info from? So far we only use the free sites and do a pay as you go on genes reunited but are thinking of trying to find a cheap and cheerful one that will allow us more for our money. any recommendations??

pennydog

I have subscriptions to both FMP and Ancestry. Why not investigate your local library? Many have Ancestry available for you to use. Before I bought my sub. I used to book a session in the library and do some of my research there.
    Before you buy a subscription why not try one of the offers of a trial - you will need to provided credit card details and as long as you make sure that you cancel before the trial ends you will not be charged. This way you can see which pay site has the records and coverage for the areas that you are interested in.

Also helpful: https://www.parishchest.com/manuals_o...khouse__P90910

Reputation beyond repute

Hi Peter, yes I thought it was just a normal residence but have found on 2 websites info about 86 East Street being part of the workhouse like an extension block and being known specifically as 86 East Street!!
    The workhouse site mentions an annex for casuals which was sometimes referred to as 86 East Street. However the inmates of 86 East Street on the 1881 census are very obviously not casuals - they are family units.

If you think thay might have been in the workhouse, you may be able to research it through workhouse records.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast