Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Judy M

Default Frederick Holberton

Many thanks for this information Fiona.It certainly adds to what i have and will give me some leads.
    Frederick had a very good drapery business in Toowoomba so his frequent trips to Sydney do not surprise me.
    He also had sisters in Melbourne.
    I wonder how he met Sophie? who was from NSW

Fiona67

Maybe he met her on one of his trips south......

Fiona67

NSW bdm # V1836630 20/1836 BEST SOPHIA THOMAS MARY

Another site lists her born in Dural which is in Sydney. That makes her about 33 when they married so in theory she probably had a job (even in those days).....maybe she worked in a draper's shop and he was a supplier.

Fiona67

Default Interesting

Directors of the Association of the first board for the Toowoomba Gas and Coke
    > Company:
    >
    > Frederick Hurrell HOLBERTON, Toowoomba, Storekeeper, 100 shares
    > Josiah BOOTH, Toowoomba, storekeeper, 50 shares
    > John Poole McLEISH, Toowoomba, storekeeper, 50 shares
    > Robert FILSHIE, Toowoomba, Plumber, 100 shares
    > James Watts GRIMES, Toowoomba, Stock & Station agent, 100 shares
    > James Thorneloe SMITH, Civil engineer, Toowoomba, 100 shares
    > John GARGET, Builder, Toowoomba, 100 shares
    > Patrick PERKINS, Brewer, Toowoomba, 100 shares
    > Edwin Woodward ROBINSON, Toowoomba, agent, 100 shares
    > Charles CAMPBELL, Toowoomba, Butcher, 50 shares
    > Richard GODSALL, Builder, Toowoomba, 100 shares
    > James CAMPBELL, Butcher, Toowoomba 50 shares
    > Total Shares 1000 shares
    > Dated this eighteenth day of April in the year of our Lord, one thousand
    > eight hundred and seventy eight.

Ascot House, a single-storey timber residence with an attached two-storeyed timber extension, referred to as a folly, has been called the largest and most extensive of the grand Toowoomba residences. While the exact construction date is unknown, Ascot was possibly built in the 1870s as a private residence for Frederick Hurrell Holberton, a Toowoomba storekeeper and later Member of the Legislative Council. The architect of Ascot house remains unknown. When built, the house stood on about 32 acres of land near the Toowoomba racecourse. The grounds of Ascot contained a glasshouse, stables, croquet greens, tennis courts and extensive gardens, which included trees and shrubs bought from overseas.

Holberton sold the property to William Beit Jnr in 1894.
    Last edited by Fiona67; 04-01-2009 at 3:09 AM. Reason: More information

Fiona67

There was an article in The Chronicle about Ascot House

https://www.thechronicle.com.au/story...-into-histori/

Fiona

Fiona67

Smile Maybe you already know all this......

Looks like Sophie had a nephew in Toowoomba. William Hodgen was an architect who designed their next house "Tor".

"Tor is significant for its association with William Hodgen, a prominent Toowoomba architect, who designed the residence for his Aunt, Sophia Hope Holberton, wife of Frederick Hurrell Holberton. William Hodgen was the founder of a Toowoomba architectural firm which continues to the present.

Tor, a single storey timber residence, was constructed in 1904 for Mrs Frederick Hurrell Holberton. The residence was designed by Toowoomba architect, William Hodgen, Mrs Holberton's nephew and built by John Sweeney."

BevMc

Quote Originally Posted by Judy M View Post
    I am looking for any record of Frederick Hurrell HOLBERTON born about 1820 (one record gives 28/10/1821) possibly in the Totnes area.

Possible parents are William HOLBERTON & Elizabeth HARRIS.

He emigrated to Qld Australia and settled in Toowoomba.

Any suggestions?
    Hello Judy,
    Received quite a lot of information from a relative some years ago from a lady in America researching the family. She identified three branches of the family
    "1. HOLBERTON OF TORRE, Newton Ferrers, Devon - the Land Grant of c1285-90 to John Holbeton. Torr House finally sold in 1959. All lines from 1578 to present have been verified. Descendants living in England, United States and Australia.
    2. NICHOLAS and ELIZABETH (Hurrell) HOLBERTON (m.1737) Totnes, Devon.
    Descendants living in England and Australia. (Hope this may be of help).
    3. HOLBERTON of Revelstoke and Plymstock. Descedndants living in England, Canada and Australia. " (This is the line I am interested in). This is also the line that Mrs. Holberton research.
    Hope this snippet is of some use. If I see anything else that may help shall let you know.
    Regards
    Bev

SJLH

Not sure of anyone is still interested in this, however, Frederick Hurrell Holberton is an ancestor of mine. He is indeed the son of William Holberton and Elizabeth Lidstone of Totnes, Devon. He was born on 28 October 1821 and baptised at Totnes on 22 November 1821. He emigrated to Australia in 1853 and settled at Toowomba, west of Brisbane. He was a successful businessman in Toowomba (in retail). He was chairman of Cobb & C o, Toowomba Gas Co and the Toowomba Deposit Bank. He was a member of the Queensland Legislative Council from 1885 - 1907.
    He died at Toowomba on 10 September 1907 and is buried at Drayton cemetery.
    Hope this helps,
    Simon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12