Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Xantippe

It is my understanding that the Withington Workhouse Hospital about 1891 was State of the Art, and the very best hospital in the District. My Grandmother went into it for three days to have my Aunt in 1908. The fact it was the best hospital however didn't remove the stigma of having been in there.

Although your Great Grandmother was there a long time and with an 8 month old it doesn't sound as if she went to give birth. Although she could have been ill and in the hospital portion.

I have a twig I cannot find on any census and have visions of the family hiding under the stairs when the census enumerator called.

Kris

Nina54

Kris

Many thanks for the information regarding Withington. It is just so frustrating that my great grandfather James Millar was not there with his family. I am wondering if he died (even though unable to trace death cert) or whether he left my great grandmother. I would love to know either way but cannot find him on any census records.

Regards Nina

Xantippe

Have you tried looking on the Manchester City Councils, Cemetery records? I found my Gt Grandparents buried in the Southern Cemetery.

https://www.manchester.gov.uk/site/sc...ocumentID=1064

SearchingSadler

If she was in there with an 8 month old, could the 2nd birth have been premature hence her being in there a while?

My grandma was born in the workhouse whilst her father was living down the road!! I took the explaination too, that it was because it was a hospital too and possibly a difficult birth.

Good luck

Nina54

Default MANY THANKS

Quote Originally Posted by Xantippe View Post
    Have you tried looking on the Manchester City Councils, Cemetery records? I found my Gt Grandparents buried in the Southern Cemetery.

https://www.manchester.gov.uk/site/sc...ocumentID=1064
    Yes thank you I had a look only two deaths with similar names, checked both against the census returns - not my great grand father.

Nina

Nina54

Default Sounds feasible

Quote Originally Posted by SearchingSadler View Post
    If she was in there with an 8 month old, could the 2nd birth have been premature hence her being in there a while?

My grandma was born in the workhouse whilst her father was living down the road!! I took the explaination too, that it was because it was a hospital too and possibly a difficult birth.

Good luck
    You might be right in fact the baby was her third child. I discovered that her second child born Oct 1888 died in May 1890 (then she gave birth to her third child in July 1890. It must have been an awful time for her giving birth two months after her baby dies. This probably explains why she was in the workhouse because of it being an hospital too. I hope that was the reason, but still no wiser regarding James Millar!! Did he abandom them?? I am determined to find him.

Many thanks everyone

Nina

I was helped enormously by the staff member below re Withington. Part of her email to me below. However my grandma was there a lot later, 1944, so may not be as lucky as me. My poor grandma was like yours - in a workhouse in 1911 with a 2 year old, a 2 month old and pregnant with another. Husband lolling at home with his mother and employed! Diffferent workhouse this time but also with valuable information.
    Christina

"If you want copies of these records, they can be supplied, but at some cost. We cannot photocopy from the registers, so we would have to take digital photographs at the cost of £15 per image and we cannot accept card payments."

Sarah Hobbs
    Archivist

Manchester Archives and Local Studies
    Central Library
    St Peter's Square
    Manchester M2 5PD

tel: 0161 234 1979 (Local Studies) or 0161 234 1980 (Archives)
    fax: 0161 234 1927
    e-mail: [email protected]
    web address: https://www.manchester.gov.uk/libraries/arls

Nina54

Default Workhouse

Thanks Christina

I did contact the Manchester Archives and Sarah Hobbs replied she was the one that gave me the information of entry and discharge regarding my family. But she said that this was the only details - nothing regarding the fathers whereabouts or why they were their. I was very impressed by there quick response.

Regards Nina

Xantippe

Have you tried the voters registers at Central Library? They may have him there somewhere. Long shot and tedious I know.

Nina54

No I have not tried this is it in Manchester? Never thought about it not sure how to go about looking. What information do they keep is it just name address? Sorry I am a thickie!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast