Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    Scone

Hi Swindonlibrary

I wonder if you could help with any information on my Grandfather Charles Elmes Gardiner dob October 1899. He was working for the GW railway as a fireman in 1919 but I don't know for how long or when he started. He lived in Chalford Gloucestershire, at one point he stayed in Southall London where he met and married my grandmother Alice Clayton 1919. I know that at one point they went to Rumney Wales as that is where my mother and an older brother were born. The family then settled back in Chalford. I don't know when he finished working for GW but I think he also received an injury.

Any help would be appreciated and any information on how I can access some information would also be appreciated. I don't live locally to your library but I am a member of Gloucestershire libraries.

Thanks

Loves to help with queries

Hi
    The UK, Railway employment records, 1833-1963: Which are available online from the National Archives via Ancestry .co. uk show 3 entries for him, one of which is his employment record page showing when he moved locations and which locations he moved between. It also shows a medical incident "foreign body in eye" while firing a locomotive.

Colin Rowledge

Hi StintonLomas
    You seem to be quite conversant with TNA and Railway Workers

Apart from my Grandfather's death - which detail was in the magazines held by Swindon Library, I have struck out. Would you be willing to send me a private message - he worked for the G.W.R. - indicating your wi8llingness?

Scone

Hi StintonLomas

Many thanks for that. The injury may explain why he left GWR settled to working in a local asbestos factory and dying at an early age. My mum, his daughter, thinks the injury prevented him from becoming a driver.

Again thanks.

watkinsrebel1

Hi

Don't know if you can help but one of my family members died on the GWR and I would love to get what information I can if it is available. His name was William Bradford and he died on the 8th March 1901 following an accident on the railway. He was working for the GWR at Handsworth, Birmingham. He was 39 years old when he died. There was an inquest on the 11th March.

Whilst I have the death certificate it would be good to understand what happened as he was severely injured after being crushed between the platform & step on the engine.

Any info would be great.

Many Thanks

David Watkins

Valued member of Brit-Gen

It would seem that William Bradford tried to jump off the engine at Snow Hill while it was still moving . the cutting below is from the Birmingham ail 11.3.1901

Last edited by mikejee; 14-04-2014 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Addition of reference to cutting

watkinsrebel1

Hi mikejee

Thanks so much for that - it explains exactly what went on so easier now to understand. I had seen that the GWR gave him a small sum as compensation but that was all so it piqued my interest....

Many thanks again

David Watkins

George Gamble

In my family two members were proud to have worked for the railways for their entire life. I'd be hugely interested if you could provide me with any information regarding their working life.

William Alfred DAVIES Born 1870 Dowlais, Merthyr
    1891 CENSUS age 21, living at 7 Church Row, Merthyr Tydfil, Dowlais.
    Occupation Loco Engine cleaner.
    1901 Census age 31, living at 16 White Street, Merthyr Tydfil, Dowlais,
    Occupation was Railway Engine Stoker.
    Moved to Cardiff between1907-1911
    1911 Census age 41, living at 12 Galston Place, Cardiff.
    Occupation Railway Engine Driver with Rhymney Railway
    1921 On his sons Marriage Certificate he states his Occupation as Locomotive Engine Driver with Rhymney Railway.
    On the assumption that GWR staff retire at age 65 years, retirement about 1935

His Son was William DAVIES born 1897 Cardiff. On his Marriage Certificate in 1921 he was a Railway Signalman, living in Cardiff. I believe that he also remained with the railway until retirement, estimated about 1962.

Any help here would be fantastic, please accept my thanks.
    George

SwindonLibrary

Hi all,
    Sorry for any outstanding messages directed to us - recently we haven't been able to check as often as we'd like. I can see some questions have been kindly answered above by other forum users but if there are any outstanding specifically for us to address then please email them to [email protected]

watkinsrebel1

Default Death

I wonder if anyone can advise as to whether any records show of a death of my relation Albert Bradford who died 11th May 1902 aged only about 23 years old. He worked for the GWR as a goods clerk but as I have not got his death certificate yet I was curious if his death was reported in the local news or in any paperwork from GWR.

Many thanks for this

David Watkins

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast