essexclark

Default Andrew Millar b. c1827 Greenock, Scotland

I am looking for the birth and or baptism of Andrew Millar who was born c1827 in Greenock, Scotland and if possible the names of his parents. He married Jane Sarah Percival in Melbourne, Victoria Australia on 8/1/1853, so must have arrived in Australia some time before then. He died in Ararat, Victoria, Australia on 23/7/1898. His occupation in Australia was a Gold Miner. It is possible that he had a brother or father here in Australia by the name of David. Both Andrew and David are listed on the Sandhurst Boroughs - Spring Creed Division (Victoria, Aust) Roll. Place of Abode - Deaddog Gully, Occupation - Miner.
    Any help finding Andrew and/or David would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards,
    Diane
    email defect AT lizzy dot com dot au
    Last edited by ChristineR; 25-02-2009 at 2:59 AM. Reason: disguise email to foil spammers

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Hi Diane

If you are happy for direct contact, I would suggest that you put your email address as contactable in your personal profile. If it is left in these posts it will be picked up by spammer robots, it is safe in your profile.

The Scots were often rigid in using the naming patterns on their children. They could give a clue to his parentage. Can you give a list of names of his children and their order?

Pity your couple didn't wait another six months to marry, then you would have had his parents names. Do you think that the witnesses might be related?

There is the death of a David MILLAR registered at Marong (a suburb of Bendigo - known then as Sandhurst) 1891, aged 63, makes his birth year about 1828. His parents are given as Alexr MILLAR and Ctina (Christina) WILLS. reg no- 11168

This family were also particular about the spelling of their surname, nearly always appears with the A.
    ChristineR

Just further to that death of a David. There is this one with the same parents, but younger.

James MILLER, died 1878, aged 40, in Victoria
    His place of birth says ' PERT' which is quite possibly Perthshire.
    father - Alexander, mother - Christina WILL
    reg no- 3227
    ChristineR

The Scots were often rigid in using the naming patterns on their children. They could give a clue to his parentage. Can you give a list of names of his children and their order?
    Silly me forgetting I have this family in my database - according to that they named the first son Andrew, the second has Percival (mum's maiden name as a second name). The second girl that I have down is Emma Ann, that is the one that traditionally is named after the father's mother. The first girl is Jane Sarah, the same Andrew's wife. So it looks to me they were following the pattern. The only other girl is Minnie.

So perhaps parents named Andrew and Emma?
    ChristineR

essexclark

Default Andrew Millar c1827 and Jane Percival c1833

Hi Christine,
    I'll reply to you here rather than personally, as your suggestion to add the children is a very good idea.
    They didn't follow the Scottish tradition exactly, at least one of the children's names were reversed. Registered at birth as Sarah Jane, she was know as Jane Sarah on her marriage and death registrations. The children were as follows:

1. Andrew b. 1856 Ballarat d. 2/1/1891 Michelle? Reef, Ararat, m. 1877 Elizabeth Rachel Gaskel
    2. William Percival Millar b. 1860 Ararat d. 1941 Ararat, m. 1884 Selina Poad
    3. Sarah Jane (known as Jane Sarah) b. 1863 Ararat d. 17/9/1903 Warracknabeal, m. 1883 Henry John Conduit (known as John Henry)
    4. George Adam Millar b. 1864 Ararat d. 1935 Ballarat, m. 1898 Jane Sarah Hardy
    5. Edward Alfred b. 1866 Mullock d. 1919 Ararat, no marriage found
    6. Albert Ernest b. 1867 Ararat d. 1946 Warracknabeal, m. 1890 Mary Cecilia Spellacy
    7. Emma Ann b. 17/10/1869 Ararat d. 14/7/1947 East Berwick, m. 22/5/1897 William Conduit (Brother of Henry John Conduit above)
    8. Minnie (?Frances) Millar b. 1872 Ararat, m. 1895 John Baker Opie. possibly died 1962 as Minnie Martin
    9. Hugh Millar b. 1873 Ararat. Still to find marriage or death
    10. John Henry b. 1876 Ararat d. 1879 Ararat. Death reg say 7D (7 days) so either YOB or YOD is wrong.

I will download the death registrations for David and James, the possible brothers of Andrew b. c1827. I have Andrew's signagure on Emma Ann's birth registration. With a bit of luck he may have been the informant for one or both of the deaths.

Thanks for your help,
    Diane

alliejaye

i know this post was a long time ago but i am in warracknabeal if u want me to check cemetary for you!!

essexclark

Default Andrew Millar b. c1827 Greenock, Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by alliejaye View Post
    i know this post was a long time ago but i am in warracknabeal if u want me to check cemetary for you!!
    Thank you for your offer Alliejaye, but the trustee of the Ararat cemetery has already sent me their records for all the Millar/Miller and Conduit burials. No help there regrettably. I visited the cemetery last January and manage to find Andrew's unmarked grave, but couldn't find his wife Jane's or that of my other gg grandparents, Henry & Sarah Conduit. Most of the markers seem to be buried under dirt and grass/weeds. I was just lucky to find Andrew's partially uncovered marker.
    A number of the Conduit line and possibly some of the Millar line went to Warracknabeal. Any connections?

Thanks again,
    Diane
    Wodonga

alliejaye

Talking

Hi Diane
    My family isnt from this area originally, we have only been here for the past year. There are still Conduit's and Millers (common name so not sure if they are anything to do with your family) living in Warracknabeal.