follyman

Default Presbury Street Lower Clapton

Hello.
    Does anyone in the London area know where Presbury Street in Lower Clapton was once situated ? It is no longer in existence as far as I can ascertain, and I have looked on 'Charles Booth's poverty map' with no luck. That map does not extend North enough, finishing just to the south of Lower Clapton.

I wish to visit the area on a 'nostalgia' trip at some time, and I would like to know the present area where it was located.

By 1901 the family [ the Suttons living at number 26 ] had moved, so I cannot tell from that census what the adjacent roads were, although that would have been probably the most long winded way - I'm new to all this by the way <smile>.
    It was the birthplace of my grandmother hence my inquiry.

Thank you hopefully

Phil

follyman

Hello Kester.
    Excellent, thank you very much indeed. You are correct - it is Presburg Street, now I look at it again. Interpretting some of the handwriting has been a problam before for me. However I still cannot see it though on the poverty map, the top right hand square [ which covers that area] finishes in a northerly direction at Homerton Road - now designated the B112 on modern maps.
    https://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...=newsearch.srf
    The modern map also shows Pedro Street and the Nye Bevan estate to be situated some 1000 metres north again. Am I looking at the same map as you [ https://www.umich.edu/~risotto/ ] I wonder, or is there another version encompassing the surrounding area maybe ?
    Anyway Overbury Street is the answer to my question, thanks again.

Phil

follyman

Hello.
    Thanks for straightening that out, I'm so glad I have found it. Also a very useful site as you say.
    Would we be allowed nowadays to class an area as being home to people who are "Vicious, semi-criminals." <smile>

Thanks

Phil