Thread: Copies of Wills

raineshoe

Default Copies of Wills

Does anyone know if any organisation has the indexes for Wills online as yet. I want to search for some wills, but can't travel to London to look them up. I am in the Lancashire area so if they are not online anywhere is there somewhere in the say Manchester area that I could see listings or maybe the Lancashire County Record office.

If there are no listings online about time someone made the move and got to it!!!!

Famous for offering help & advice

If you mean post-1858, there's nothing online, unfortunately However, you're quite well placed to see copies of the index - it's at both the Lancashire Record Office and the Manchester Probate Registry.

If it's pre-1858 then the location of the will depends mainly on where the person lived, died and/or owned property, and in some cases there are indexes or images of the actual wills online.

Arthur

Vance Mead

The Cheshire Record Office has wills online:

https://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/Wills/

Nothing online yet for Lancashire.

raineshoe

Thanks people. Forgot to say it was after 1858.

They are definitely lagging behind. That is a project that somebody should bid for I reckon.

Anyhow, thanks for the links. Knew someone on here would have the answers.

Incidentally, people who research family history must be of a paticular type I've decided over the years, usually most of them are very sharing, seem sensible in using a forum ie not flaming people and also most importantly can spell RAINESHOE. The amount of forums I go on and they spell it without the "E"!!

You clever lot

Thank you.

Alexandrina

The Probate Registry have already scanned, digitised and indexed the printed indexes. They are getting round to thinking about, just possibly, er... maybe, perhaps looking at the possibility of, shh, don't tell anyone...

...putting it on that there new-fangled interweb thingy. Do you think it might catch on?

Lexy

raineshoe