Codge01

Default Paddington Old Cemetery

Hello all,

I beleive that I now know that my Granfather is buried at Paddington Old cemetery, Willesden Rd, Kilburn, however I'm not sure how to confirm this.
    The only two record i have of his are his marriage certificate which shows him being married at St Luke's Church West Kilburn, precided over by Vicar George Edwin Higgins. And a death certificate showing him living at Herries St also at West Kilburn.
    I did ask for a burial registry search but alas nothing was found.

Would there be a church record somwhere, from the funeral service perhaps?
    I'm also strggling to fill in a sibling gap for my Grandfather's brother Alfred born 1896 I think, in Hammersmith. I beleive I have found him on the 1911 census but thats all the information I have, I canott find any birth cert, 1901 census records, marriage cert, or death. And I assume he would of been in the military for WW1 but alas again I can't seem to find any records for him.

My great Grandfather is a bit of a mystery too, I only have a marriage cert and canott find any further info.

I'm a bit puzzled also that I use Ancesttry for searching records however it does not seem to go much past 1929-30 for some reason when I try searching for death records i.e when I try searching for my Great Aunt and Uncle born 1906 and 1909 respectively.

Looking on the bright side I have managed to learn a great deal about life and the area my family are from, all from the comfort of my own home over 100 miles from London/ Middlesex.

Thank you for now

All the Best

Codge

Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

Paddington Old Cemetery in Willesden Lane is in the Brent Council District. At the council offices you can search the Burial Registers for a fee. However it does not say that they will do a search for you, but it could be worth a try. Have a look at this page
    https://www.brent.gov.uk/cemetery.nsf...0search/LBB-12

As for the death records in Ancestry, they are transcriptions of the records in the GRO Index, and as such are by no means complete yet. If you wish to find a death registration, then you may need to trawl through the Index yourself, which you can find if you subscribe / pay to view on a couple of sites. Or if you can post on Brit Gen a close date and the names, then some enthusiastic person may find them for you.
    Michael

Suffolk Pipe – one tree

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Codge01 View Post
    I'm a bit puzzled also that I use Ancesttry for searching records however it does not seem to go much past 1929-30 for some reason
    It's because what you're using is a copy of the FreeBMD database. FreeBMD is here...

https://freebmd.rootsweb.com/

You can read about the project, find out how to volunteer and look at the coverage charts.

Normally, there is absolutely no point in using the Ancestry copy in preference to the FreeBMD original because Ancestry is always out-of-date compared to FrseBMD.

FreeBMD also has better search facilities.

For periods not yet transcribed by FreeBMD, you have to search the copies of the original GRO indexes

Knowledgeable and helpful

I have two old cards (1922 & 1927) from the Paddington Cemetery, Willesden Lane, Kilburn that give me the grave numbers and section for two of my ancestors. Itemised details of the cost of maintenance for the graves are given and it says all payments were to be made to the Borough Treasurer, Town Hall, Paddington W2. The old Town Hall was demolished in the 60s/70s but surviving records would be held at the Westminster Archives Centre. Might it be possible to search for a grave maintenance record?

Reputation beyond repute

Interesting thought, Browneyes. Unfortunately Westminster Archives just have Burial Plot Books for 1939 to 1950. Other records are with Brent Council and charges for searching the registers are shown on the Council website.

Paddington Old Cemetery is in Willesden Lane.

However, this is not really the way to approach it. You need to find the death registration as a first step.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Thank you Peter, that's useful. I really wish people would stop moving all the documents around!!

Codge01

Hi all,

Just to bring you up to speed.

I have now managed, with the help of Brent Cemeteries, to indeed confirm that my Grandfather was buried at Paddington Old cemetery 1936.

Thank you for your time

Cheers Codge01