esslw

Default Missing person: Second Boer War

Hello all!

I have a missing relative who is supposed to have fought in the second Boer war:

Name: David Prothero
    Born: 1880 (Llanbedr, Painscastle, Wales)
    Parents: Thomas Prothero, Sarah Ann Prothero (nee Davies - or Gwynne)
    Siblings: Thomas, Arthur, Emily, Albert, Herbert, Elizabeth, Leonard, Mildred
    Last seen: On the 1991 census (aged 11) - living with his Uncle David and Auntie Ann in Clyro Radnorshire.

The only other record for 'David' that I can find is a death record (1960), but this actually belongs to his brother Herbert - who took his name (possibly to hide his own identity when he married for the second time). Given that family rumour suggests David fought in the Boer war, I'm wondering if this might explain why he's missing from UK records (and why his brother felt able to take his name).

I'm quite new to research in general - and whilst I've 'browsed' some of the military files, I'm really not sure what I'm doing (or what I'm actually looking at for that matter!) or how to go about looking for David. I would be extremely grateful if some clever person could help me out...

Geoffers

IF your chap joined the army, his records will be held at The National Archives (TNA) at Kew. Have a read through their research guide - British Army - Soldiers Discharge Papers 1760-1913

TNA are arranging for the records to be made available online - this should be by 2011 if you can wait that long.

Have you found your chap in the 1911 census? If so, what was he doing then? If he served continually until WW1, it may be worth checking the records already available online on Ancestry's site.

Are you sure that David didn't die young?

esslw

Sadly the 1911 census isn't going to be of any use to me for a little while as Wales isn't online yet.

Although it's possible that he could have died sometime after 1991, no-one has been able to find anything to suggest that he died as a youngster (there are several people trying to work out what happened to him, so I feel confident that it's not just my dodgy research skills that are responsible for his disappearance!!)

I did have a little look on Ancestry, but I'm not actually sure what I'm looking at, and I'm really not sure that I'm approaching it correctly. Maybe the link that you've supplied will help me - thank you.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by esslw
    Sadly the 1911 census isn't going to be of any use for a while as Wales isn't online yet.
    Curses

It's possible that he could have died sometime after 1991
    1991? - or 1891?

but no-one has been able to find anything to suggest that he died as a youngster.
    Have you tried thumbing your way thorugh the GRO deaths index, just to make sure?

I did have a little look on Ancestry, but I'm not actually sure what I'm looking at, and I'm really not sure that I'm approaching it correctly. Maybe the link that you've supplied will help me - thank you.
    It is just a link to a research guide - it will give ideas on where to search.

IF you chap joined the regular army and IF he left the army before 1913, then he may turn up in this TNA file - WO97/5725 - note that this is just a catalogue, but it's a possibility for the file that holds his service record.

Kevin Asplin's web-site is worth checking for The South African War.

esslw

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    1991? - or 1891?
    Gah! - last seen living with his Aunt and Uncle on the 1891 census!

Yep - been through the deaths index (many many times!), but didn't find anything that stood out.

I'll try the links that you've suggested. I did stumble across Kevin Asplin's site after a Google search - it looked really useful, but with no real idea of what I was looking for (or at) I'm afraid I just got a bit overwhelmed () and left in a bit of a flap! I'll give it another go after I read the research guide you suggested.

Thanks.