Anne K

Default Clues for birth of THOMAS SHARP MELLOR - Manchester

I am trying to find the birth cert of my GGrandfather and would appreciate any ideas where to try - the details I have are:

Marriage cert - to Catherine Elizabeth Woolfenden on 19/12/1878. He was age
    22yrs. Residing at time of marriage 110 Ward St. married at
    Parish Church, Manchester. Profession Clerk. his father was
    George Edward Mellor, a Timber Merchant (deceased)

At one time I think they lived at 15 Manor Street, Liverpool Road, Manchester.

I have searched the IGI and the Record Office in Manchester with no luck. Can anyone point me in another direction to look pls.

Anne

Famous for offering help & advice. Trish's Avatar

Default Mellor 1871

Quote Originally Posted by Anne K
    I am trying to find the birth cert of my GGrandfather and would appreciate any ideas where to try...
    Anne,

Sorry, I can't help with the birth certificate but what about his mother's name... do you know it? Do you think this is your Thomas MELLOR in the 1871 census, living at 118 [looks like...] Bard [but could be Ward] St. in Hulme?

Name / Age / Birthplace / Relationship / Civil Parish / Occupation
    Fanny Mellor 53 Liverpool, Lancashire, England Head Widow Hulme
    Thomas Mellor 14 Manchester, Lancashire, England Son Hulme Office Boy
    William Goss 41 Manchester, Lancashire, England Lodger Unmarried Hulme Overseers Clerk
    Edward Murry 27 Ireland Lodger Unmarried Hulme Warehouseman

Source information: RG10/3998
    Registration district: Chorlton
    Sub-registration district: Hulme
    ED, institution, or vessel: 22
    Folio: 53
    Page: 50
    Household schedule number: 291

Trish

uksearch

If the birth was registered in Manchester the place to enquire at is Manchester Register Office.I have known a few cases where MRO has not had a record of an event taking place (admin cock ups etc),I then applied to Southport.
    I also found another Thomas MELLOR aged 14 born in Hulme on the 1871 Census at 34 Peel Street,Hulme RG 10 4001 folio 129.
    You are, I think, interested in the name WOOLFENDEN.I found the following events all in the name of Henry Layland WOOLFENDEN.
    1852 Dec qtr Marriage Manchester
    1857 Mar qtr death Chorlton
    1871 Sept qtr birth Ashton
    1896 June qtr Marriage Chorlton
    1899 Dec qtr Birth Ashton

UK
    Last edited by uksearch; 13-02-2005 at 3:15 PM. Reason: more iformation

Anne K

Quote Originally Posted by Trish
    Anne,

Sorry, I can't help with the birth certificate but what about his mother's name... do you know it? Do you think this is your Thomas MELLOR in the 1871 census, living at 118 [looks like...] Bard [but could be Ward] St. in Hulme?

Name / Age / Birthplace / Relationship / Civil Parish / Occupation
    Fanny Mellor 53 Liverpool, Lancashire, England Head Widow Hulme
    Thomas Mellor 14 Manchester, Lancashire, England Son Hulme Office Boy
    William Goss 41 Manchester, Lancashire, England Lodger Unmarried Hulme Overseers Clerk
    Edward Murry 27 Ireland Lodger Unmarried Hulme Warehouseman

Source information: RG10/3998
    Registration district: Chorlton
    Sub-registration district: Hulme
    ED, institution, or vessel: 22
    Folio: 53
    Page: 50
    Household schedule number: 291

Trish
    Hi Trish - Unfortunately I don't know his mothers name, only his father's. He called his daughter Fanny, so it's possible the link could be there. Your census says he is an Office boy, maybe another link to the Clerk on his marriage certificate. Certainly looks promising. I will try M/c register office. Thanks so much for your help.

Anne

Anne K

Quote Originally Posted by uksearch
    If the birth was registered in Manchester the place to enquire at is Manchester Register Office.I have known a few cases where MRO has not had a record of an event taking place (admin cock ups etc),I then applied to Southport.
    I also found another Thomas MELLOR aged 14 born in Hulme on the 1871 Census at 34 Peel Street,Hulme RG 10 4001 folio 129.
    You are, I think, interested in the name WOOLFENDEN.I found the following events all in the name of Henry Layland WOOLFENDEN.
    1852 Dec qtr Marriage Manchester
    1857 Mar qtr death Chorlton
    1871 Sept qtr birth Ashton
    1896 June qtr Marriage Chorlton
    1899 Dec qtr Birth Ashton

UK
    Hi uk

Another thankyou for your help. Yesterday I had no Thomas MELLOR and now I have TWO. I will enquire at M/c Register Office and hope that they didn't both have father's with the same name!
    As for the WOOLFENDEN info - I know he married 30/12/1852 so I can definately claim the first one. The other four will give me something to work on and thanks for remembering my interest in Henry Layland.

regards Anne