Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ash33au

Default Can anyone help please

I'm looking for Annie Sophia Wilson (my 2x grandmother), I don't know where she was born but am guessing somewhere in the UK.

I know the following facts:
    She was born in 1823.
    She married John Gordon in 1857 in Port Eliot, South Australia.
    She died in 1916 in Hawthorn, Victoria.

I also know:
    On her marriage certificate it states her father's name as William
    On her death certificate it states her father's name as Richard Tronsdale Wilson - Tronsdale is a name that has been used in subsequent generations.

I have information regarding:
    All her children and subsequent generations

Information I don't have:
    Her place of birth
    Her parents definite names
    How and when she came to Australia

Any help will be outstanding.

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

She was born in 1823.
    Hi Ash, you have a typo there - you mean about 1833/34. Aged 23 when married in 1857, aged 83 on death in 1916.

I would be more inclined to believe the name given for her father on the marriage certificate, it comes from her - and especially when they named two children William Wilson Gordon. I found it interesting that not one of the 8 birth registrations in SA show the name Tronsdale at all. There is a son Richard, and this might be how the mistake has been made on the death certificate.

What does the death certificate say about her birthplace?
    How long does it say she was in each State?

In SA, in 1865 and 1876, there are children registered to a
    Richard Tronsdale WILSON and Ann MAITLAND.
    Richard James WILSON and Alice Dora WILSON, both at Point Sturt.
    I wonder if this is her brother?
    Looking at the marriage index, Richard and Ann married 4 Jan 1852 at Willunga. Fathers are not recorded.

ChristineR

ash33au

Thanks Christine, that was a typo.

In future generations (from her grandchildren onwards) Tronsdale became a middle name commonly enough used.

I think you may be on to something there with the "potential" brother, it may need some more research.

Death certificate gives barely any information at all. In fact the only way I knew it was her for certain is by the address of where she lived and died.

Further to above, Richard and Ann have 13 birth registrations all up - 1852-1878 - his middle name also shown as Trowsdale, Trousdale, Tronsdell, and Prowdale. This name does not appear in his kids' names.

I checked Victoria, but like the other family, they did not have the decency to wander over the border and have a kid there for you.

Richard Tronsdell WILSON died, aged 57, 18 Apr 1883 at Whitwarta
    'Gil' district - 127/282
    The relative in the index is James FIDLER (SL)
    SL = Son-in-law?
    makes him born about 1826, so a little older than your Anne Sophia, but not old enough to be her father! so a brother is looking good.
    ChristineR

ash33au

Yes indeed - thanks Christine

IGI is showing them as having 8 kids. It also shows Richard as being born in Wales, Yorkshire, England. Something to definitely go on with now.

I also forgot to mention in my previous post that Willunga and Point Sturt are both nearby to Port Elliot/Victor Harbour/Goolwa where Annie and her husband settled after getting married.

I'm not breaking out the sledge hammer just yet but that wall will be broken down!

Right, I'm just bringing up FamilySearch now, you beat me to it.
    What I did see was a Richard TRINSDAILE, 1500s in Yorkshire. I can see how they would get Trinsdell and Tronsdale out of that quite easily.
    ChristineR

ash33au

Just found another record for RTW on FS showing all 13 kids.

A* is down so I can't check 1841 census just at the moment to try looking for the whole family in Yorkshire

ash33au

Found an Ann Wilson born 1834 in Anston, Yorkshire - not far from Wales.

Keep searching...

Quote Originally Posted by ash33au View Post
    It also shows Richard as being born in Wales, Yorkshire, England.
    Um, I think the Wales bit must be a transcription error because Wales is a country and while it is small it is definitely bigger than Yorkshire -

Ladkyis
    in misty cold (5 centigrade) Newport South Wales
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

ash33au

On the contrary, there is actually a place in Yorkshire called Wales, not far from Sheffield. I am looking at it on a map right now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast