Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Catherine N

Smile Web Hosting...suggestions please?

Owing to the imminent demise of Lycos and their subsidiary Tripod, I have to find a new home for my family history website. With the 'Credit Crunch' still in full swing, I'm a bit worried about hosting with a commercial company, paying them my hard earned money...and they go the same way as Lycos within a month! However I remember that I had real trouble getting any of the 'free' hosting sites to accept my website as it is written with MS FrontPage and a lot of companies don't like it...something to do with the scripting? I'm computer saavy but not saavy enough to want to a) tinker with the html script of my website to remove whatever it is that makes FP so unnacceptable to everyone. And b)...I'm lazy! I want to copy and paste a bit of text, add a few photos, upload it...done!! And FP works perfectly for that!

So, any sugestions on a cheap...or preferably free ...web hosting company?

Thanks!

MarkJ

Do you not have some free webspace with your ISP?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    Do you not have some free webspace with your ISP?

Mark

I was about to ask the same thing. My OPS website is prepared on a combination of MS Publisher and Front Page, and I keep it on the webspace supplied as part of my internet account.
    Lesley

Catherine N

Wow...that was quick!!

Yes I do have free space with my ISP...who don't allow sites designed with FP, unfortunately!! That was my original problem. I suppose I could re-design my website on another programme, I have a free version of Serif's Web Plus, for instance...but it seems a shame to reinvent the wheel when I have a perfectly good site already that just needs a new home!

Thanks for the speedy response!

MarkJ

I actually pay for my hosting but that is my own personal choice. I have got some ISP webspace which can be activated if I so desire, but I hate my ISP with a vengence anyway

There has been discussion on free hosting on the forum in the past - but my arguments against it are - lack of functionality (e.g no cgi or php etc) in many cases and the advertising banners, subtle or not, which are used by most freebie hosting accounts.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Catherine N View Post
    Wow...that was quick!!

Yes I do have free space with my ISP...who don't allow sites designed with FP, unfortunately!! That was my original problem. I suppose I could re-design my website on another programme, I have a free version of Serif's Web Plus, for instance...but it seems a shame to reinvent the wheel when I have a perfectly good site already that just needs a new home!

What happens if you just edit your current site using Serif?
    Lesley

MarkJ

Quote Originally Posted by Catherine N View Post
    Wow...that was quick!!

Do you actually use FP scripts? Or is your page fairly basic stuff?

Writing it up in html (or even doing a bit of judicious editing of the old page to remove the FP stuff) is very easy.

There are several free and easy to use html editing tools around which will let you work in much the same way as FP (i.e the WYSIWYG way). If your ISP doesn't like FP designed sites, do they have a free tool for creating sites themselves? I know one of the large ISPs used to have tools for website design which you could download from their site for example.

Mark

Catherine N

I'm happy to pay a small sum per month for hosting. I'm just not willing to pay big bucks per month when I only get about 5 hits a year...and two of them are probably me testing that the site still works!!. My other concern is that whoever I choose may not last out the year...although, I suppose judging by the loses of some of the companies we've seen go under in the last few months, no one is safe! I'll have a scout around on the web and see what I can come up with...thanks again!

MarkJ

I would probably look at rebuilding the site without the FP stuff and then sticking it on your ISP space. That would be the most reliable method. Then make a backup of the site just in case of problems in the future, remembering to update the backup if you update the main site.
    Freebie hosting services - and quite likely many paid for hosting services - are struggling at the moment and several have gone under recently. Even one of the big ISPs recently pulled one of its free webbuilding pages without any notice, leaving lots of their customers with no access to their websites any longer.

Mark

Hi
    I have checked with my ISP and this is their answer
    You can use frontpage to create your site but if there is a component on your page that requires frontpage server extension, this will not work as we no longer support it. Also connecting to the server using ftp frontpage is no longer possible but you can however upload your website files using any ftp program

Therefore, like Mark says, redo your pages without the FrontPage scripts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast