Carran

Unhappy Still Cant Find Granny!!

Hi everyone

Havent been able to visit site for a while and am now busy catching up on what I have missed!

I am still looking for my elusive grandmother Hickey. I thought yippee when the invite came to preview the 1911 census. I found everyone else that I needed to find, my lot all came from London, however granny is not there. (banghead) Now I know that they should be there somewhere, but I'll be blowed if I can find them. There should be father - Robert 1873, mother - Sarah 1880, granny - Ellen 1906 and a younger brother Robert born 1909

I posted a while ago about granny's birth not being on the GRO index. The only Ellen Hickey born in Lambeth around 1906 was not her. I emailed Lambeth register office with all the details and they replied that they couldnt find her either. So I thought I will wait until 1911 census, I'll find them then and maybe find out when and where granny was born/registered. No such luck. I am fast running out of ideas on where to go next. Maybe the answer is staring at me and I just cant see it.

Does anyone have any ideas??
    Carran

Astoria

Default Morning

She is on the 1911 census born 1907 Lambeth. Ellen Josephine.

Astoria

Default And her birth

Ellen Josephine Hickey
    Q1 1907 Lambeth 1d 490

2nd thoughts - is this your wrong one in which case ignore the above as well.
    Last edited by Astoria; 13-01-2009 at 6:49 AM. Reason: addition

Carran

Hi Astoria

Thank you for replying. Unfortunately this is not my Ellen. I actually bought the transcript on the off chance it was her, but is wasnt, completely different family.

According to grannys marriage cert her full name is Ellen Caroline Hickey born 13 June 1906 this is the year she always said she was born, and what is on her death cert. I know the day is right coz I was born on the 14 June and as I got older we used to go for birthday drinks together!! I have had trouble tracing this branch since the 1881 census. They were very elusive and it obviously carries on to the next lot!!!

Will have to probably wait until wild card searching is available and hope I get lucky.

Thanks again
    Carran

Astoria

Sorry it's the wrong one, good luck with the hunt

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Carran
    I am still looking for my elusive grandmother Hickey.........There should be father - Robert 1873, mother - Sarah 1880, granny - Ellen 1906 and a younger brother Robert born 1909......
    I emailed Lambeth register office with all the details and they replied that they couldnt find her either.
    What Lambeth could or could not find depends on whether the information you provided was correct - you may get a negative result by providing too much information.

Could Ellen/Helen/Eleanor/Caroline have been born to a sibling of Robert/Sarah who died, and your gran was then adopted by Robert?

Could she have been born on a substantially different date?

Have you tried name variants - e.g. HICKS?

Any trace of Robert having been a bit of a bad lad and having used an alias?

Ellen Caroline Hickey born 13 June 1906 this is the year she always said she was born, and what is on her death cert. I know the day is right coz I was born on the 14 June and as I got older we used to go for birthday drinks together!
    13 June may still be incorrect. Was she baptised?

Thomasin

You've probably thought of this, but could they have been transcribed as MICKEY - H and M being sometimes difficult to distinguish?

Thomasin

SBSFamilyhistory

I have tried Mickey, Micky, Mickie, Hicky, Hickie, and still no sign of Ellen sorry

Sue

Thomasin

... and Nellie/Nelly/Nell/Helen?

Thomasin

Carran

Hi everyone

Many thanks for your replies and trying various spellings.

I am afraid that this particular brick wall is going to take some bashing. According to Grans marriage cert her full name was Ellen Caroline Hickey, age 22. Father Robert William Hickey (deceased) although havent been able to find death record. He was a carman. She was married in church after banns in 1928.

I honestly don't know if she was baptised. I have found her two brothers registered at Lambeth with mothers name Sarah Caroline Bosher together with the parents marriage entry in 1903. I also found a sister who was born in 1914 and died 1915 of whom my father never knew about. Gran would have been about 8 or 9 and yet never ever spoke of it. She talked about her brothers and her father. Her mother remarried in 1923 and her stepfather was a witness at her wedding to my grandfather. I have tried everything I can think of but still come up with nothing.

I would have thought that I would have at least found them on the 1911 census at this rate I will have to wait for the 1921 census and hope they are there.

Carran