busyglen

Question Edward JONES & Eliza

This is a long shot, especially with a name like JONES (almost as difficult to find as SMITH)

I am looking for
    1861 Census: 7 Queens Rd. East, Chelsea
    Edward Jones aged 56 Scale Maker, b. Denbighshire, N.Wales
    Eliza wife, aged 50 b. Middlesex, LND
    Eliza daur, un. 24. b. Middx. LND
    Maria daur, un. 21. b. Middx. LND
    Elizabeth, un. 16. b. Middx. LND * My gt. grandmother.

They had a son Thomas Jones 25 also scale maker with wife Hannah
    and sons Thomas & George, also on the 1861, Census.

They weren't at this address in 1871, so I would be grateful if there is anyone that can help me with this one. Even better if someone recognises these names.

Glenys

busyglen

Thumbs up

Thank you so much Kester!

All I've got to do now is try and find them on the 1871! They appear to have moved to another address by that time, possibly because Edward may have died or retired. I've actually got the Census piece for 1871 with Queens Rd. East on it, but they don't appear there or elsewhere, unless I've missed them. Some of the pages are difficult to read.

Thanks for your time.

Glenys

busyglen

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Kester
    Hi Glenys,
    I'm intrigued, therefore, to know whether you have found them in 1851?
    Hi Kester,

Thanks for that information, you're brilliant!!

No, I haven't found them on the 1851 as yet. I don't have Ancestry etc. so have to look for CD's of pieces when I get more clues as to where they might be. I have just found (I think) Elizabeth's birth regn. in 1845 which I am awaiting clarification on. (There being hundreds of Elizabeth Jones!!) But...now you have found Pimlico, I wonder if I have got the right one!

My cousin is going to the FRC tomorrow and whilst there is going to check the ones I found, to see if any are correct. So fingers crossed. That may help as to the area they were in for the 1851.

I can't find father Edward, or Eliza on the 1881 so possibly he had died. Wait a bit.....I've just remembered....I thought his wife was Ann as an Ann witnessed Elizabeth's marriage. But...now the 1861 says Eliza!! I must go back to my 1881 CD's and have another look. It's surprising what `talking' things through brings up.

Thanks again.

Glenys.

busyglen

Talking

Hi again Kester,

I found an Eliza on the 1881 as a Widow, aged 70 (about right) and living on her own in 13 Woodstock Rd, Hornsey, Mdx. It's a bit of a way from Chelsea area, but could be right.

I also checked back on the 1891 Census and Elizabeth Jones was shown as being born in Pimlico, whereas previously just Middlesex. So that ties in with the Pimlico entry you found in 1851. Elizabeth was born 1845.

Thanks for your input, it has certainly helped me sort things out in my mind, and given me added information to boot!!

Also, added thought for others.....twice I have made the mistake of taking a witness with the same name, as the wife, it's bad to `assume' and I have fallen over twice with this. You would think I had learnt my lesson!

Glenys
    Last edited by busyglen; 09-02-2005 at 7:13 PM.

busyglen

Thumbs up

Thanks again Chris.

The latest bit of information has given me an area to look for Edward's death.
    If he wasn't listed in 1868, and he definately wasn't on the 1881 Census, it looks as if he could have died between 1865 and 1868. Not conclusive, but at least possible, so I will have a look and see what I can find.

I had only fairly recently found he was a Scalemaker, so hadn't thought about his profession. When I found that I had a JONES in the family, I groaned and despaired of ever finding anyone and had put it on the back burner.

Again, many thanks for turning up what you have, it's given me a new lease of life!

Glenys.