Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Oates

Default Victorian Photograph

Any ideas how old this person looks and when it might have been taken?

Last edited by Oates; 01-01-2009 at 9:49 PM. Reason: resized photograph

Oh my word that's hard. I would not have thought he was over 35. His hands look quite young and he doesn't seem to have many wrinkles or lines on his face. HIs skin looks young too as to when it was taken well who knows. I feel it might be 1880s or later perhaps - or even 1910-20 again he is wearing timeless working clothes and that's difficult
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Oates

Apparently it's a picture of my ggg uncle aged 16 who died down the pits in 1883... I know people often looked older than they were back then, but my god. He just looks so much older than 15/16.

Some people have old faces. When I was 16 no-one would believe that I wasn't 25 but when I was 50 no-one believed I was over 40 so I have a middle range face
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Astoria

His tash looks a bit too full for a 16 year old, don't you think?

Oates

Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis View Post
    Some people have old faces. When I was 16 no-one would believe that I wasn't 25 but when I was 50 no-one believed I was over 40 so I have a middle range face
    Hmm I think it's the moustache in his case...

Rubina

Wink

I'd be shocked if he was under 25 - his hair has already started receding at the sides of his temple. I know that some men do start losing their hair at a very young age (this is the case in my Paternal line with both a nephew being almost bald at 25 and one of my sons starting to recede by a similar age), however, I think 16 too young.

Also, our ears and noses do continue to grow (at a very slow rate fortunately!) throughout much of our lives and this chaps ears already look reasonably large! (I don't wish to be rude about your ancestor - they are a lovely shape!!).

Rubina

Oates

Quote Originally Posted by Rubina View Post
    I'd be shocked if he was under 25 - his hair has already started receding at the sides of his temple. I know that some men do start losing their hair at a very young age (this is the case in my Paternal line with both a nephew being almost bald at 25 and one of my sons starting to recede by a similar age), however, I think 16 too young.

Also, our ears and noses do continue to grow (at a very slow rate fortunately!) throughout much of our lives and this chaps ears already look reasonably large! (I don't wish to be rude about your ancestor - they are a lovely shape!!).

Rubina
    I have another picture of him aged 8, and his ears are already surprisingly large. Comparing the two pictures, I think they're the same person, the question is, was he really so young when he died?

This is the full picture, showing the rest of his family if anyone is interested. https://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...ae2/img068.jpg

Rubina

Wink

I would agree that this certainly looks likes the same person and clearly has a high temple line so my comments are probably off the mark!

Also, he (and his Father) have large ears. However, the tash (as Astoria says) does look rather full for a 15/16 year old. But then again, some are more hursuit than others so perhaps it's not impossible?

Rubina

Astoria

There is something about the eyes as well, I know life was hard then, but he looks very weary. Maybe just a long day at work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast