Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Davran

Thanks, Mike. That stagecoach is the only reference to Taglioni with regard to horsedrawn vehicles that I can find, but that was the name of a particular coach not a type of vehicle as the journal seems to imply.

I found a picture of the Windsor Taglioni on the web, but it is certainly not big enough to take 18 people.

deenor

I had a great book for an xmas present, Voices from Dickens' London by Michael Patterson, There is a whole chapter for transport.
    Quote from a paragraph- " Many omnibuses are named after their chief stations. Others luxuriate in names of a more fantastic description, and
    the most conspicuous among them are the Waterloos, Nelsons, Wellingtons, Taglionis, Atlases, etc."

Did the London Transport Museum get back to you ?
    Denise.

Davran

Sorry, yes they did. I should have posted the result on here . There is a publication called "The Illustrated Omnibus Guide" containing engravings of the metropolitan omnibuses with an original distance map of London for ascertaining cab fares. I was able to buy a photocopy of the page mentioning the Taglioni, which seems to be the name of an operator rather than a type of omnibus. The Taglioni went from Dulwich to Fleet Street and the guide gives times of omnibus and fares. Other companies mentioned on the same page are Camberwell & Dulwich Conveyance Association (Dulwich to Gracechurch St); Bank Holborn Oxford St Pantheon Conveyance Association (Ealing to The Bank). Then there are four others, but I'm not sure which company they were. One went from Edgeware Rd to Hungerford Market; another from Edmonton to Oxford St, Bishopsgate St and Snow Hill, the third from The Exhibition to The Bank. The fourth went from The Exhibition to London Bridge Railway Station and had the following description "These Omnibuses take a circuitous route to their destination. Their times are not defined, being more dependent on success than the clock"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12