Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    moonlightdrive

Default Help needed on a search for a crash site..

I have been researching my Dads uncle Leading Aircraftman Chistopher Thomas McClure who was serving in 502 Sqdn and was killed when his Avro Anson crashed in a snowstorm in the Rhyl/Prestatyn area while returning to RAF Aldergrove on the 19th January 1940.

Over the last year we have been trying to find the location of the crash as my Dad who is in his late seventies is keen to visit the site.

Any help on where to start looking would be appreciated.

Thanks

Astoria

There is an entry on CWGC for a Thomas Christopher which looks like your man.

Reputation beyond repute

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...?sLeafletID=61

Please see para 5 of the above research guide.

Not sure if you have seen this page (unless you are one of the people inquiring on it).
    Good luck

Knowledgeable and helpful

If there were many crashes in this area you may find that there may be a book about it. My father crashed during a training flight in the peak district Derbyshire during the 2nd World war and the story of the crash was told in a book. We did not know that Dad had had a crash until the person doing research wrote to him in the 1970's. Dad did return to the crash sight and because of the remoteness the wreckage was still there, however I have learnt since that in the last few years some of the air craft may have been recovered for a project to rebuild a plane of the type he crashed in.
    It might be worth googling for any books about crashes in the area you are interested in.
    Best Wishes
    jane

I have just tried looking on amazon David William Earl has written some books on crashes if you struggle to find details of the site the author may be very knowledgable. The author of my Dads book also came up on a search for the same site.

moonlightdrive

cheers for the response i am one of them an the ask a local search

moonlightdrive

Jane what was the name of the book regarding the search

Hi
    Its called "Hell on High Ground:- Guide to Aircraft Hill Crash Sites in the UK & Ireland v2 WW2 Air Crash Sites
    Hope this helps

moonlightdrive

thanks i've just ordered it on Amazon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast