Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    allyj50

Thanks Robert for your explanation I was never aware that my nana had a similar job to my mum. Mum used steel wood and nitrosmoore to strip her woods. She laminated table tops in our houses way before it became popular! She's remembered for varnishing the children's chairs in our child-hood chair and visitors to our house use to marvel at all the woodwork she had varnished. The house had many, many layers of paintwork and she spent more than 18 months day after day stripping the skirting boards, doors, architraves and bannister with all its intricate carving on. The estate agent made a feature of this years later! She loved woods. Her hands and especially her knuckles became worn out and she blamed it on her job! Ally x

momat

Hi Ally,
    This is probably just co - incidence but when you mentoned the name Wilkie it started me thinking about a family of that name who I know of who came from Glasgow to New Zealand and wonder if you have any family in New Zealand.
    The Granddaughter of David Leighton from the business lives around the corner from me in N Z. She thought that your mother may have been Mary as she recalls her working for her Grandfather.
    I would like to see the photo if it is possible as I may be able to name someone in it .
    Cheers, Maureen.

allyj50

i have no idea how to upload a photograph on this forum so if you would like to pm me with your email address, I can send you that photograph I have it on my pc and i also scrapped (scrapbooking heritage photos with stories) the photo!

Ally x

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12