Jacquelina

Unhappy Jane Ann Basden Finnis

I am trying to find the correct birth details for my GG. Grandmother Jane Ann Basden Finnis born in Dover.
    She was married twice. Firstly to John Lines in April 1876 in Dover aged 20. Secondly, as a widow, to my GG. Grandfather Charles William Sutton in October 1880, also in Dover, aged 23.
    In the 1881 census she was living at 36 Odo Road Dover aged 24 with Charles.
    After trawling through the birth index for Dover, the only feasible entry is a Jane Finnis born in Jan 1856. Having got the certificate however, I am not convinced that I have got the right Jane. Apart from not listing all of her names, her father is Thomas, which although corresponds correctly with her marriage certificates, his occupation is Farm Labourer, whereas on the marriage certificates he is a carpenter and builder.
    In the 1881 census I have found 3 Thomas Finnis and 2 are carpenters. One aged 77 living at St. Margarets At Cliffe and one aged 52 living in London.(Both born in East Langdon Kent). The third is 50 living at St. Margarets with wife Eliza and he is the Agricultural Labourer. This has just added to my confusion!
    I would be very grateful if anyone could shed any light or maybe find her on the 1871 census to see if she is still living with her parents and I could verify the name of her mother.
    I hope someone is able to help.

Kath Betts

Default 1871 census entry

I there a St Margaret, Kent near Dover? The 1871 census shows a 15 year old Jane Finnis born in St Margaret who is working as a servant in Cliff, St Margaret. She is working at Beach Farm as a nurse maid.

If you would like a copy of the page please let me know your contact details.

Kath

Kath Betts

I have found another entry which may be of some use.

There is a Jane A Finnis (Ancestry shows it as Finnes but given the enumerator dotted his i’s then it is definitely Finnis not Finnes) born Dover Kent. Her age is clearly shown as 18 so this may be a little too old for your relative. She was working as a domestic servant in the St John’s district of Margate.

Thomas Finnis: Aged 40 living in Cliff, St Margaret with his wife Elizabeth, Agricultural worker, born East Langeton Kent

Thomas Finnis: Aged 30, son-in-law, living in Dover, Castle district with wife Louisa. Thomas is a labourer and was born in London Middlesex

Thomas Finnis: Aged 41, living in St Peter the Apostle District, with his wife Mary Ann. He is a carpenter and there is a daughter & a nephew Thomas staying there, he was born East Langeton Kent

Thomas I Finnis: Aged 70, born in Hythe but now living in Wanstead

Kath

Jacquelina

Very interesting!!

The 18 year old Jane maybe useful as the marriage certificate ages don't add up. She seems to shade a few months off here and there! Lady's prerogative I suppose!

Thanks very much for your help.
    Jackie

Kath Betts

The ages on the census often seem to be a little “flexible”. I have entries where the ladies have removed quite a few years! This may also be affected by who fills in the form, for example, you may choose to edit your own age but a family member may be a little more honest or may in fact not know the correct age. I suspect that when people were working as servants there was probably not much effort put into checking ages and that they may have been a guess/generalisation.

Kath

Frankey

Default Jane Ann Basden SUTTON (Finnis)

I am Jane Ann Basden SUTTON (nee Finnis) (previous Lines) great granddaughter, Dianne Cochrane through herd youngest daughter Hilda Gertrude ELLIOTT (nee Sutton) who was born in Dover on the 16th Sept 1892. Hilda and her daughter (my mother) ccame to Australia in 1925. I have returned to England and have been in touch with members of the family.

Who are you Jacquelina? Jane and Charles William Sutton had 7 children, William Charles Basden Sutton, Charles Henry Sutton, Thomas, Lily Rosina, Jessie Isabel, Hilda Gertrude and Albert Ernest. I live in Perth, Western Australia and would like to contact you. I have photographs of Jane Ann and a copy of their marriage certificate.

I have Jane's date of birth as being the 27th August 1856.

=
    Last edited by Frankey; 16-03-2012 at 2:54 PM. Reason: More information

Frankey

Default iNFO ON jANE Ann Basden Sutton (Finnis)

Manythanksfor your reply. I most certainly will use the site as I am the first Australian born of English and Scottish forebearers and whilst some did come out to Australia, there should be many relatives still living in the UK.

Regards
    Dianne (Frankey)