I am trying to find the correct birth details for my GG. Grandmother Jane Ann Basden Finnis born in Dover.
She was married twice. Firstly to John Lines in April 1876 in Dover aged 20. Secondly, as a widow, to my GG. Grandfather Charles William Sutton in October 1880, also in Dover, aged 23.
In the 1881 census she was living at 36 Odo Road Dover aged 24 with Charles.
After trawling through the birth index for Dover, the only feasible entry is a Jane Finnis born in Jan 1856. Having got the certificate however, I am not convinced that I have got the right Jane. Apart from not listing all of her names, her father is Thomas, which although corresponds correctly with her marriage certificates, his occupation is Farm Labourer, whereas on the marriage certificates he is a carpenter and builder.
In the 1881 census I have found 3 Thomas Finnis and 2 are carpenters. One aged 77 living at St. Margarets At Cliffe and one aged 52 living in London.(Both born in East Langdon Kent). The third is 50 living at St. Margarets with wife Eliza and he is the Agricultural Labourer. This has just added to my confusion!
I would be very grateful if anyone could shed any light or maybe find her on the 1871 census to see if she is still living with her parents and I could verify the name of her mother.
I hope someone is able to help.