Thread: Parish Register

Keith Daniells

Red face Parish Register

I have just started to go through my first PR CD Can you please help overcome my stupidity? A typical marriage line reads-

Gentel Ann (x) [blank] wid [blank] otp dau of Rowland Piggot lab.

So I read from this that Ann is a widow and also the daughter of Rowland.

What does/did the (x) and [blank] signify?

MarkJ

(x) = signed with an X - i.e was unable to write.

The blank I am not sure - is it simply a space? It may be a space for entering Age for example?

otp = of this parish

dau = daughter

lab = labourer

If you are still stuck and you have some means of cropping a screenshot to show a relevant entry (don't worry if you show a couple either side - but don't post the entire page!), then that may help to explain what you are after

Mark

Keith Daniells

Mark have had a long hard look and it seems that the [blank] is a number or word that is too hard to transcribe. So its left blank. Thanks for your help.
    Keith.

MarkJ

If you could pop the page (cropped down) either here via the tool thingy or on photobucket (or your own site if you have one), I am sure our members will be happy to have a go at deciphering the entry

Mark

sally

Hi Keith

Presuming these are transcriptions are they in columns and cover a lot of years?
    If so the columns would need to include age and occupation which I think in your case were not on the PR entry. Later entries would include age but more often than not an occupation for women was not included.
    Take a look at the groom and see if he (or other males on the page) read more like - Blogg Fred (x) [blank] wid lab otp son of John Blogg lab. If so then that gives you the second [blank]

Regards
    Sally

janbooth

Default Parish Register

Keith,

The first blank is where the age would normally be for both bride and groom and the second blank in Ann's entry is where the occupation would be.

HTH

Janet

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi

What year and what area is this?

Does it say if they wed by banns or license?

Ben

Keith Daniells

Unhappy

Please accept my apology for not responding to this thread. I came off second best in a little scrap with a snake a couple of days ago and have not been feeling too well of late. Should be back fully on deck in a couple of days.
    Keith.

Keith Daniells

To all of the above. Sorry to answer in one hit. While I was laid up my good partner Diane resolved this problem for me. Thanks to all.