Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CLEAVERS again

tadrussell

Default CLEAVERS again

Hello all.
    Once again i have lost my way and hope you kind people wouldn't mind helping me !
    Looking for William Cleaver dob 1780, Elizabeth nee Linnet his wife
    d ob 1780 ,Living in Hillmorton northampton
    looking for their children
    George dob 1800 was my gt x 5 grandfather ,
    Anne dob poss 1812)
    William dob also 1812)both these present on 1841 cencus but doesn't say if the were husband /wife or son /daughter .
    I have also been informed by another forum member that there was a James poss dob 1804 i! not sure ,can any help me please
    many thanks
    gail

janbooth

Default CLEAVER family

Hello Gail,

George is easy to find on the 1841/51/61 & 171 census records:

1841 census of Hillmorton
    HO107/1137/10, folio 24, page 9

George CLEAVER 40 Labourer
    Sarah do 40
    James do 15
    George do 12
    Elizabeth do 10
    William do 7
    Alice do 5
    Amos do 1
    All born in the county

1851 census of Birmingham St Mary
    HO107/2057, folio 151, page 43
    96 Steelhouse Lane

George CLEAVER Head Mar 51 Labourer Hillmorton Warwickshire
    Sarah do Wife Mar 50 Bilton do
    William do Son U 17 Assistant Labourer Hillmorton do
    Alice do Daur U 15 At Home do do
    Amos do Son 12 Errand Boy do do

In the 1861 census, he is in Ladywood, Birmingham and has now become a Green Grocer living with wife Sarah and son Amos at 41 Springfield? Street and in the 1871 census still in Ladywood, a Green Grocer living with Sarah at 33 Springfield Street. There is a death registration for a George CLEAVER in the June qtr 1881 at Birmingham reg district, vol 6d, page 125, aged 80 and one for a Sarah CLEAVER in the March qtr 1878 at Birmingham reg district, vol 6d, page 19, aged 77 both of which fit in well with the ages given on the census records.

According to the 1851 census of Barby, Northamptonshire (HO107/2070, folio 153, page 12), William CLEAVER, snr is a Cordwainer living with granddaughter Ann CLEAVER aged 14 who is presumably the Ann aged 4 in the 1841 census entry. I would guess looking at the 1841 that both William aged 7 and Ann aged 4 are the children of William's son Abraham who is shown as aged 30 on the 1841 census.

If you look on Hugh Wallis's IGI site, there are 3 children shown for William CLEAVER & Elizabeth, Susannah born 6 May 1808 & baptised abt 8 May 1808, James born 21 and baptised 23 September 1804 and William born 3 and baptised 6 January 1811 all at Hillmorton. The same site shows George CLEAVER marrying Sarah SMITH on 21 September 1818 plus various other CLEAVER marriages which might prove useful to you.

Returning to CLEAVERs in Barby, there is a marriage on the Northamptonshire Marriage Index of an Abraham CLEAVER of Barby, bachelor at Hellidon, Northants on 30 March 1834 to an Ann JOHNSON, of the parish, spinster which fits in pretty well with the 7 year old William on the 1841 census.

In the 1861 census of Barby, William sen has a lodger Ashbell COLEMAN, his wife Ann and their son William living with him - could this be his granddaughter Ann?? Hey presto, looking on the Northamptonshire Marriage Index again, there is a marriage on 30 November 1858 at Barby of an Ann CLEAVER, otp, spinster, of full age, servant, father Abraham, shoemaker to an Ashbel COLEMAN, otp, bachelor, of full age, labourer, father Thomas, drover. Also a marriage at Barby on 6 February 1844 of a William CLEAVER, otp, bachelor, of full age, shoemaker, father Abraham, shoemaker to Sarah VINCE, otp, spinster, of full age, father John, labourer. I can't find Abraham in the 1851 census, but there is a death registration for an Abraham CLEAVER in the March qtr 1843 at Rugby reg district which could well be him.

Cont......

janbooth

Default CLEAVER family

.......Cont

James CLEAVER born 1804 looks as if he could be in the 1861 census of Aston, Birmingham:

RG9/2178, folio 30, page 5
    36 Dartmouth Street

James CLEAVER Head Mar 56 Contractor for Sewerage Warwickshire Hillmorton
    Ann do Wife Mar 55 do Clifton
    Emma do Daur Un 21 do Hillmorton
    George do Son 13 Scholar do Birmingham
    Clara do Daur 10 do do do

In the 1851 census he is in Birmingham and shown as a Coal Dealer living with wife Ann and children Harriet aged 12, Emma aged 11, Sarah Ann aged 10, George aged 3 and Clara aged 10 months.

William CLEAVER jun is living in Hillmorton in the 1851 census married to a Frances aged 34 born Hillmorton and children William aged 12, Maria aged 9, Emma aged 6 and Jane aged 1 at Lower Street and is described as a Railway Labourer. In 1861 he is in Bilton, Warwickshire described as a Platelayer on Railway and he and Frances have 2 more children, Frances aged 3 and Frederick aged 11 months. They are both still in Bilton in the 1881 census.

HTH

Janet

Marie C..

I think your Elizabeth Linnett is linked to mine.
    I have Linnetts Northampton/ Rugby etc etc and one married a Cleaver.
    Are yours Yelvertoft Linnetts? Marie

Marie C..

Your Elizabeth Linnett was baptised 31st. March 1780 daughter of John Linnett and Sarah nee Mawby(who were married at Yelvertoft 9th Nov 1772)
    Elizabeth and Wiliam Cleaver were married Yelvertoft 21 st. July 1800.
    You probably have this but posting it in case you haven't
    Your Elizabeth and my Thomas were sister and brother. M

tadrussell

Hello Maria
    Yes my Williams wife Elizabeth nee Linnett parents names were John 1740
    her mother Sarah 1745 ,they were from Yelvertoft
    Thank you for the info about Sarah brother had none of her family side apart from parents
    many thanks
    gail

tadrussell

Hello Janet
    Many Many thanks for all your help and imformation ,how do find all this out ,i sit aimlessly searching,driving myself and husband mad LOL .
    It will take me a while to get all the imfo on to my tree and to take in everthing you have very kindly told me about.
    I appreciate all the help the people on the site give ,without it i and many others would feel like giving up searching a great deal of the time
    Onceagain thank you for your time and trouble taken
    regards gail

v.wells

Tad, I am looking for a Peter Cleaver married to Ann Beardsworth (cannot post yr as could still be living). Have no more info until m cert gets here in a couple of weeks but think from Surrey?

tadrussell

Sorry to bother you again ,
    can you please let me know what site you found all the imformation you sent earlier.
    `I have so many cleavers to search for it might help me finish this tree before i retire LOL
    regards
    gail

tadrussell

Hello
    I do happen to have a Peter Cleaver,in my family ,however he is in his early 50's and not married to a Ann .
    Sorry i don't think we have a connection ,good luck with your search
    regards
    gail

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast