Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Janny49

Red face Looking for John Maddocks

Hi there new friends I'm a newbie from Canada. Searching for my Great times 4 Grandfather. So far have found a lot of info on the census, but there's a big gap between 1851 and 1841 and earlier, back to 1802 when I think he was born. Name I'm looking for is John Maddocks. Last found on the 1851 census at 49 years old, head of household, coal miner from Bersham, Denbighshire, Wales. Can see that he had 4 children: John b. 1828, George b. 1833, Mary b. 1834, Jane b. 1835. Then later on his son John had a son called Edwin Maddocks b. 1857 (some confusion where Edwin was born - some say Bersham, Denbighshire and some say Coed Poeth, Flintshire). I can't seem to find this John Maddocks - wife's name or marriage. They all seemed to have lived in Bersham, or Wrexham district and all of the men were coal miners. Can anyone help me fill in the gaps? Thank you.

janbooth

Default Edwin MADDOCKS

Hello and welcome to the Forum.

I have found Edwin MADDOCKS in the 1861 census of Bersham as follows:

RG9/4284, folio 68, page 11
    2 Penygelli Road

John DAVIES Head Mar 32 Coal Miner Denbighsh Bersham
    Mary do Wife Mar 25 do Wife do do
    Elizabeth do Daug 6 do Daug do do
    John do Son 3 do Son do do
    Mary do Daug 2 do Daug do do
    John MADDOCKS Father in law Widwr 59 Coal Miner do do
    Edwin do Brother in law 7 Scholar do do

From this census entry, it would appear the Edwin was the son of John senr and not of John junr and was born in Bersham and also that John jnr is married to a Mary and living in Bersham with daughters Jane and Margaret M in the 1861 census. However, as John snr is shown as a widower in the 1851 census of Bersham, could Edwin be the son of John snr and his lodger Elizabeth ROBERTS?? There is a birth registration of an Edwin MADDOCKS in the March qtr 1854 at Wrexham reg district, vol 11b, page 314 on FreeBMD who looks a likely candidate for your Edwin. Sending for his birth certificate (available to purchase online at www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/) would give you his parents and clarify the situation once and for all.

The 1841 census of Bersham seems to be missing from both Ancestry and British Origins so I am afraid I can't help you there. There is a marriage registration on FreeBMD in the December qtr 1853 at Wrexham reg district, vol 11b, page 558 of a John MADDOCKS and one of the other names on the page is that of a Mary HUMPHREYS which could be the marriage of your John junr - fits in quite well timewise with the age of daughter Jane and is the correct reg district for Bersham.

HTH

Janet