grumpytoymaker

Default Medal card abbreviations

I have my g.uncles medal card and although most of it I have deciphered there is one entry that has me beat, he was awarded the victory, british and the 15 star then under this there is the following

x T.EFF A.O. 507 of 1920

The little cross at the begining seems to relate to the same type of cross at the top of the card

corps. rank regtl no.

Yorks L I Cpl 1421
    -.- x sgt -.-

I was told that he was a terrier like all his brothers but the abbreviation dosnt seem to fit any medal that I have seen anywhere any help would be gratefully recieved

Terry

Andrewb

Terry

This bit of hieroglyphics meas that your great uncle was awarded the Territorial Efficiency Medal in Army Order 507 of 1920. It was awarded in the rank of Sergeant. The TEM was awarded for 12 years service in the Territorial Army. War time service counted as 'double time' towards the award. If he earned the award sometime around 1920 then this would indicate that (roughly) he joined the TA in about 1911/12. Approx two year's post war service at single rate, 4 and a bit years (5/8/14-11/1/18) at double rate, leaving about 2 years pre war.

If you Google 'Territorial Efficiency Medal', I'm sure there's lots of info out there that will tell you in more detail about it.

Regards

Andrew

grumpytoymaker

Many thanks for this information. I can now state definately that the family stories are all wrong, the story being that Uncle Charlie lost a leg in 1916 ( I know he was discharged 31/05/1916 its on the medal card ) So if he was still in the territorials in 1920 then he wouldnt have been much use with only one leg and so although injured it seems likely that it wasnt as badly as I have been led to belive. once again thanks for your help.

Terry

Terry Reeves

The X indicates the rank to be impressed on the rim of the medal.

Terry Reeves