Jan65

Default WW1 Medal Card abbreviations

Hi all

I've just been looking at this topic on the forum for the first time and have seen that many people have had the abbreviations on medal cards explained, so I wondered if someone would be kind enough to do the same for me?

I have the medal card for my great uncle who was killed just before the end of the war in 1918. There's not a lot on his card, and it's clear that he was a Private in the West Riding Regiment, with his number, and the note that he was killed in action on 29th September 1918.

The bit that doesn't mean anything to me is under the "Roll" column. Against the Victory Medal row is the entry "O/2/101 B/13". The row against the British Medal has ditto marks under this entry.

Any help gratefully accepted. Many thanks.

Janice

Andrewb

Janice

The entry means that he was awarded the British war Medal and the Victory Medal. The hieroglyphics are the roll reference. The only other information that the medal roll will give you is the date the medals were issued by the War Office to your great uncle's record office for onward transmission to his next of kin. The medal rolls were transferred to The National Archives in 1988 from the Ministry of Defence. You can either visit yourself or employ a local researcher to look the information up for you. TNA's website will have more info on how to do this

Andrewb

Jan65

Thank you Andrewb for your explanation, much appreciated!

leamington

The roll will also give you that vital piece of information, his battalion.

Jan65

Thumbs up

Thank you Leamington - I've just noticed that there is a new database on A*y for the Medal Roll so I excitedly did some searching. Unfortunately, at the moment it only covers part of the country, but I dare say it will be added to in time, so I'll keep checking.