Titanicfan

Default Searching the National Roll of the Great War

Hi all, I don't mean to sound dim but I have tried to search the National Roll of the Great War on a well known website and I keep having problems searching for a few of my ancestors within the Southampton and London sections. Each time I type in the name within the specific location it keeps directing me to other locations. I can keep searching via the next page button starting from surnames beginning with A but it's taking too long this way. Does anyone have any tips on searching this database please?

Knowledgeable and helpful

I am so glad that I am not only one having problems............nearly threw laptop out yesterday..............searching sometimes is so frustrating.........its a site with lots of info if only you could access it!!!!!

sandie

pte1643

Tried it myself a couple of times, but got similar results, so gave up.

Also why, when you're searching service records for people from Middlesex, does this "Well known site" throw up 20 Million entries for EVERYWHERE ELSE?

... I may have exagerated slightly there.

pipsqueak

Did you read the information about the database?

The volumes contained in the database cover: Birmingham, Leeds, London, Luton and District, Manchester, Portsmouth, Salford and Southampton. The three volumes that are not included cover the areas of Bradford, Bedford, Northampton, and more of London.

What name were you looking for in Southampton?

Titanicfan

I did read the database information but it was still taking far too long this way and as I only had a few surnames to look up I just typed in the surnames and then went to the table of contents with the results of each search and then I just clicked on each volume of Southampton and London. It did take quite a long time but I got there in the end! Unfortunately, I didn't manage to find any of the names I was searching for anyway. This certain website I feel is very frustrating when you have a lot of names to search for in the various databases and even when you narrow the search results down to its most specific point you still end up with lots of names that bear no relevance to what you have asked for!! Very frustrating indeed!!