hebbo

Default William Hebblethwaite

Hello All,

I am seeking some help in clarifying a place name. William Hebblethwaite is listed in the 1861 Census living with his son in Preston, Lancashire, aged 66 and recorded as a former farmer. No problems there, I am, however, having troubles with his birth place. He is listed as being born in Allah, Lancashire. I can't find any reference to this place. I have a copy of the original record and it does indeed appear to say Allah.

I am at a standstill, and would like to clarify this detail as i hope it will eventualy lead to further inquiries.

Thanks

Chris

Jan1954

Hi Chris,

Very difficult to read, so hopefully someone with a local knowledge will be able to help.

Reference: RG9; Piece: 3130; Folio: 52; Page: 11

salcat

Do you have him in 1851? What did it say for his birthplace? Did he survive till 1871, and if so, what does that say? Sometimes people give very specific areas for their place of birth on one census, but are more general on another.

Can you post the reference for the 1861, so we can have a look.

Thanks

S

PS Jan beat me to it with the reference
    Last edited by salcat; 25-08-2008 at 9:23 AM. Reason: ps

Reputation beyond repute

Possibly intended to mean the township of Ellel in the parish of Cockerham.

hebbo

From what I can see, he only appears in the 1861 census. He is not in the 1871, so I presume he passed away by then, and I can't find him in any previous.

Jan65

Do you have his son William in 1851? I've found him listed on A*y as Kebblethwaite. He and his wife and children seem to be living with her parents (surname Cundall?) in Preston, Lancashire. No sign of William senior here though, which is what I was hoping to find for you.