Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Jan65

Default Victorian clothes

Hi all

I'm fascinated by the clothing worn by our ancestors in Victorian times but know very little about it other than what I've seen on telly in period dramas, which strangely enough considering my obsession with history, I very rarely enjoy (an exception being Cranford which was brilliant).

Anyway, I digress! For instance, one specific thing I'm curious about is, what would a working class girl wear on her wedding day in July 1834 (in the North East of England)? Would she wear something special or just her ordinary clothes? What would she wear on her head?

Can anyone direct me to a website on Victorian clothing? I absolutely yearn to picture my ancestors and not have them just as names on a tree, and since I don't have many old photos, trying to picture their costumes would help me so much!

Janice

Jan1954

Hello Janice,

Virtual Victorians is a good place to start. You can explore the pages to find out all about the lives of our ancestors - including the clothes that they wore. Click on the "Themes Gallery".

Also, a perusal of www.
    vam.ac.uk/index.html"]V&A Museum would not go amiss.

Jan65

Hi Jan

Once again, in the space of a few minutes, you come to my aid! Many thanks for these links, I'm off for a browse right now!

Janice

Davran

Hi Janice

I don't know where you are located, but a visit to a costume museum would help you get the idea of the fashions of the time. There is a list here www.
    fashion-era.com/museums.htm. Obviously, working class women would wear clothes that were less ornate or up-to-the-minute fashion, but I think they probably tried to be as fashionable as they could, especially for their 'best' clothes.

Jan65

Quote Originally Posted by Davran View Post
    Hi Janice

I don't know where you are located, but a visit to a costume museum would help you get the idea of the fashions of the time. There is a list here https://www.fashion-era.com/museums.htm. Obviously, working class women would wear clothes that were less ornate or up-to-the-minute fashion, but I think they probably tried to be as fashionable as they could, especially for their 'best' clothes.
    Thank you for this link, Davran, much appreciated. I agree that to visit a costume museum would be wonderful, I hope I can find one reasonably near to me.

Janice

Jan65

I know that the wedding I'm interested in was just before the Victorian era but thought that things probably wouldn't be too much different from the early years of Victoria's reign. I've read various things that make me wonder whether a working class wedding was such a special occasion in the past or as I've read more than once, just another day. I would hope it was special because that might be the only special day that my ancestors had in their lives - or am I just being miserable?!

Janice

Davran

Janice, I found that link through Google and it said there was a list of museums, but I've just been browsing the site and can't find a list! Sorry! I know there is a museum at Bath and I think there is one in Nottingham - try googling yourself!

Jan65

Hi Janice

I don't know where you are located, but a visit to a costume museum would help you get the idea of the fashions of the time. There is a list here https://www.fashion-era.com/museums.htm. Obviously, working class women would wear clothes that were less ornate or up-to-the-minute fashion, but I think they probably tried to be as fashionable as they could, especially for their 'best' clothes.
    Well whaddayaknow! The Bowes Museum - not too far from me - has a costume collection. It's years since I visited and now I want to go again RIGHT NOW. But will have to wait until next weekend perhaps. Thanks Davran for reminding me of this museum, I can't wait!

Janice

Jan65

Janice, I found that link through Google and it said there was a list of museums, but I've just been browsing the site and can't find a list! Sorry! I know there is a museum at Bath and I think there is one in Nottingham - try googling yourself!
    Our messages crossed in the ether Davran! I found the list okay, hence my message re Bowes. Thanks again! J

AnnR

It probably depends what you mean by working class. If they were living in poverty then its unlikely there would be spare cash for anything and everyday clothes would be worn. With a little more available a new outfit that could be worn regularly afterwards. But some working class women actually had a reasonable amount to spend. If she was working outside the home in a factory for instance, but still living with her family, cash wouldn't be so tight until she had her own family to support. I remember seeing the episode of Who Do You Think You Are, with Barbara Windsor and it was suggested that the Bryant and May match girls were well known for following fashion and having the latest style of hat! Recently I was reading up about Cornish Bal Maidens (women mine workers) and again it was often commented on at the time that for Chapel on Sunday, or for Church organised weekday evening social events, the girls and young women would be wearing the latest fashions. Although not earning anything like as much as the men, compared with working in service etc they were relatively well paid, and because the work could be dirty and hard, when they weren't working they made the most of it and liked to put on their finery. Although neither of those are the North East, it could well be that there were similar standards.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast