busyglen

Question Coastguard Medals

I am trying to help another researcher and wonder if anyone on the Forum can help. You are all such a knowledgeable lot.

Does anyone know what length of service a Coastguard Boatman would have had to do before receiving a medal of `Long Service and Good Conduct'? Was there a set number of years before one was earned? I have a photo of the medal which has Queen Victoria on the front but no date. There is only the persons name around the edge with Boatn. (Boatman) HM Coast Guard. In 1891 he was a Chief Officer, so it would have been before then. He married in 1869 and then appears in 1881 Census as a Coastguard.

Unfortunately we don't have the date he entered the service, so looks as if it is going to be nigh impossible to work out, without documents.

Many thanks.

Glenys
    Last edited by busyglen; 31-01-2005 at 7:27 PM.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Glenys,

My first thought was ' ask the coastguard'. Did a google and found the coastguard URL and there's a history bit on it.
    https://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga-hm...coastguard.htm

Haven't read it, but it might give you the answer. If not revert to first thought

Have just had a further click on the site and found
    https://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga-hm...nealogical.htm

Pam Downes
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 31-01-2005 at 11:42 PM.

busyglen

Hi Pam,

Thank you so much.....knowing my growing involvement with the Coastguards, you would think that I would have found this all by myself! That's the problem with trying to help people with various types of queries...you miss the obvious!

Actually I did try asking him, but I obviously wasn't on his wavelength.

Will have a good look around the sites and see what I can find....will have to add it to my webpage too, so thanks again, your help is much appreciated.

Glenys