harleychick

Question S.S. Dongola, Russia

On 22 May 1920 my Great grandmothers brother and wife arrived at Southampton aboard the Dongola from Helsingfors Finland...country of last permanant residence Russia.
    According to the Clydesite website in 1919 after the armistace the Dongala repatriated deported Russians, and brought back refugees.
    Could my great great uncle have been a refugee, and any suggestions why a 63 year old photographer could have been living in Russia at this time.All the other passengers listed seem to be British, living in Russia.
    If I have entered this on the wrong threads could you please advise me where I could find general information on Brits in Russia at this time or any other help most appreciated.
    Many thanks
    Sheila.
    Last edited by harleychick; 24-10-2008 at 11:57 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Marie C..

Tell us more and I will ask OH who is an expert on all things Russian(and much else besides.)
    "what was a photographer doing in Russia?" you ask. Well all sorts of people went to Russia. maybe he was a war photographer and somehow got caught up there and couldn't get out until some years later?
    Finland was an escape route for people wanting to leave Russia. The Revolution was still going on and British people and emigres would need to get away.
    As a photographer he could have been earning his living there. There were many professional british people living and working in Russia including the Royal children's tutor.
    Last edited by Marie C..; 24-10-2008 at 1:44 PM. Reason: addition

harleychick

Smile SS Dongola RUSSIA.

THANKYOU Maria,
    After further research this morning I am fairly certain he must have been a prisoner, who was repatriated along with a 33 year old lady Maria who is listed on ships passenger list as his wife, but his wife was a 67 year old called Victoria who did in 1930 in Watford.Maybe she was posing as his wife so she could get out of Russia, as i believe Tolstoy was also on the same ship posing as an English child, the son of his Nanny. I would like to find where and for how long he was held, as I believe conditions were horrendous.
    Many thanks
    Sheila.

Marie C..

People were fleeing Russia to get away from the communist revolution. They had killed the Czar and his family . There was mayhem, famine, starvation and much else besides. People were leaving under whatever disguise they could. OH knew a woman who fled to China from Russia as that was the only way she could get out. She was a German jew.
    You really don't want to know if your relative was a prisoner because you would re-live the misery. Hopefully he will not have been one. M

harleychick

Default s.s .Dongola Russia.

Hello Marie,
    I would very much like to know about every aspect of this branch of my family, who I have been researching for 6 years, and I have found so many twists and turns of their life, from Belgium, Germany to England, and now I find a posible conection with Russia.Yes it would be upseting to read of any suffering uncle endured, but I have found many things associated with this family that have reduced me to tears, Uncle lost 5 of his siblings before they were 10 years old and saw his daughter commited to a Mental hospital etc, so i think I am strong enough to know more. You never know when you start out where the road will lead, so i shall plod on and hope for more news. thankyou for your thoughts.
    Sheila xx

Marie C..

Are there no letters in family posession that might throw light on his time in Russia. I assume Victoria (wife)was in England whilst he was away? M

harleychick

Default s.s.Dongola, Russia

hello Marie,
    i assume Victoria was in England at this time, but the strange thing is that several years ago I obtained uncles death certificate.He died in London in 1925 of Angina. The death was registered, by an M not a Victoria.I was advised that M may just have been a mistake but now with Maria on the ship with him, this has got me thinking?? If he had divorced Victoria and married Marie in Russia it will explain why I have never found a second marriage in England.Pure guesswork on my part, but could make sense.
    Victoria dies at the home of their daughter and son in law in 1930.
    I never knew anything about this side of my family at all, as my grandmother died before i was born, and my Dad knew nothing, so it has all been research on my part, with many mysteries to still be answered.The 1911 census will help somewhat.
    I'm not giving up after coming so far.
    Sheila.

Marie C..

Hello Sheila,
    You never give up.... sometimes you take a rest.... but that's all.
    It may well be that he married for the second time in Russia and brought her with him. How old was he is 1920?
    Yes 1911 census may give you some answers. It will be out sooooon!
    Meantime keep looking. You could always have a peep on the 1911 now but it is pricey. M

harleychick

Default s.s.Dongola Russia

hi Marie.
    He was 63 in 1920, born in Brompton middlesex of german father, Belgian mother.
    Sheila.