Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    carriePrice

hello! my paternal grandfather was called leonard chidgey, i think he passed away in 1998 ish, he had 1 daughter (linda)and 3 sons (stephen,martin and jeff) before he and my grandmother divorced and he went on to re-marry and have more children. my grandmother re-married also and changed the childrens surnames. leonard had 10 grandchildren from his children with my grandmother,sadly non of which he met before he passed away.id love to learn more about my biological paternal family too, but i think its quite a large network so im not sure how close i could get xx

Sandra06

Hello Simon
    I wonder if we have a match and link between our family tree.

I have a copy of family tree (CHIDGEY) and it dates back to approx 1770 A William Chidgey and his wife Margaret. I have checked with records and confirm their children were baptised and born in Old Cleeve in 1792 and 1798. I'm now trying to find the birth date of William Chidgey around 1770 but
    only found one record in 1757 that I think might not be him as this person would only have been 13 years old (although maybe back then it was possible to get married this young??).

Ref the "William Chidgey" in your tree - what date of birth and location do you have? As it is two years since your entry - Have you had any luck looking at the local parish records?? Thanks for sharing any update. Much appreciated. Sandra

sft456

Default Chidgey

Hello Sandra

I have replied before but only to the email, not to this site (my error)

Very nice to hear from you. I have rather given up on my FT, since coming up against a proverbial brick wall and finding no help from others. Our William Chidgey (sometimes Chedger as in 1841 C) was I think b @1791 in Minehead (location he gave, I think, in the 1851 C) possibly bap 5/8/1792 at St Andrews Church, Old Cleeve, Somerset, son of William & Margaret? she b @1770 OR bap 1/4/1798 Old Cleeve. Below is the first record I have of him and his family:

1841 Census 1 Wardrobe Place, Bedminster, Bristol St Pauls HO107/ Piece 376/ Book: 1/Folio: 34/ Page: 18

William Chedger (Chidgey) 50 b 1791 Minehead? bap 5/8/1792 at St Andrews Church, Old Cleeve, Somerset, son of William & Margaret? (she b @1770) (sister Elizabeth? bap 1/4/1798 Old Cleeve) Urban labourer m 31/8/1822 St Philip & St Jacob Church, Bristol d Sep qtr 1882? Bristol City Workhouse (aged 97) (as William Chedzoy) (ie b @1785??)
    Elizabeth (nee Hollister) 40 b 1800? Keynsham, Somerset? (dau of William & Jenny Smith?) d Jun qtr 1862 (Bristol 6a 31) or Dec qtr 1868 (Bristol 6a 19)? (aged 68)
    Henry 17 b 24/1/1824 Bristol bap Henry William Chidgey Newick 19/3/1837 at St John’s Church Bedminster, Shop Boy m (1) Mary Ann Roberts 27/9/1846 St Marys Church, Redcliffe, Bristol, (she 1824-1871), m (2) Katherine Ann Evans 5/8/1883 St Martin-in-the-Fields, Westminster (she d 15/10/1898 Bedminster dau of William Hooper & Catherine Peterson) d 18/9/1888 Bedminster
    William Pow 7 b @1833, Glos?

Elizabeth, I think was unable to have children so Henry was the result of an affair between William and a Rebecca Newick (who also resided in Wardrobe Place in 1823) My mother's family then became Newick.....not Chidgey....sort of branch line!

William appeared in the 1851-1881 C all giving varying dob ie in 1851 (60) 1861 (72) 1871 (84) and in 1881 (96) He d Sep qtr 1882 aged 97? as Wiliam Chedzoy) according to BMD and the Workhouse Record. Elizabeth d in 1862 OR 1868 (haven’t purchased her d Cert) Henry d 18/9/1888 in Bedminster, Bristol

I have been unable to go back any further than @1823, though I have recorded many possible parents for William…..nothing concrete, but he must have belonged to someone!

How am I doing? I would be interested to know how your tree descends

Regards, Simon

bexx

Hi All,

Im unsure if this thread is read anymore but I am a descendant of the Chidgey line

Rebecca

Starting to feel at home

This thread for the CHIDGEY family in Somerset is how I found British-Genealogy.com last month. People here have been very helpful. I hope by posting on this thread that even more will see what I am working on and perhaps be able to help.

Harriet Emma Chidgey, my wife's grandmother, was probably born in Williton in 1879. In the 1891 census the family lived in Bristol and her father's occupation was tailor. My wife remembers her grandmother saying her father, was a tailor. Harriet married John Smith in England. They moved to America and settled in Bakersfield Kern Co CA USA. Interestingly, some of Harriet's siblings and a nephew also settled in Bakersfield. American federal census records for 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940 show John Smith's middle initial as "H." I have not found a John H Smith in records in England that I can connect to Harriet Emma Chidgey. I have, however, found marriage and baptism records in St Pancras London England connecting John Linford Smith and Harriet Emma Chidgey. My wife's father, one of their three sons, was John Linford Smith. I want to determine who was the correct John Smith and find his ancestors.

Starting to feel at home

Laura Valentine (Chidgey) Hughes Scott b 14 Feb 1877 Williton Somerset England d 11 Jan 1963 Bakersfield Kern Co USA was one of Harriet Emma (Chidgey) Smith's two sisters. Laura married Albert Henry Hughes in Bristol in 4th qtr 1903. They subsequently immigrated to America...Albert in 1903 based on John Linford Smith's immigration form and Laura in 1905 per US Federal Census. Believe Albert (and Laura?) lived in New Castle Pennsylvania in 1905. Their first child Mary b 1907 Ohio USA. Second child Robert b 1908 and third child Elizabeth "Bessie" b 1909, both New Mexico USA. 1910 US Federal Census this family of five lived in Oklahoma City OK. 1920 US Federal Census Laura married to John Walter Scott living in [Bakersfield] Kern Co CA with Robert and Elizabeth, but not Mary, listed as children. John d 1 Dec 1954 and Laura d 11 Jan 1963; both buried in Union Cemetary Bakersfield CA USA.

Starting to feel at home

Default Frank Chidgey

The 1871 England & Wales Census lists grandson Frank Chidgey an unemployed tailor age 20 born [1851] in St Decumans. This information is a match for the father of Harriet Emma Chidgey et al. Also living with him on Long St Williton Somerset are grandson Henry Chidgey age 11, grandson Thomas Chidgey age 9, lodger Emma Jenkins age 47, son Peter Chidgey age 43, daughter-in-law Sarah Chidgey age 48 and head [grandfather] Francis Chidgey age 76.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

For reference John ( H) Linford SMITH, Harriett Emma CHIDGEY b 1879
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...England-to-USA

Chidgeyd13

Default Relatives

Quote Originally Posted by tintin View Post
    Can anyone help I’m looking for relative or info about the Chidgey family from north petherton, Charles Chidgey & Mary Cox, George, william, John, Leonard & Thomas. Charles & Mary were cousins. Born around 1890 Charles in North petherton and Mary in Southampton.

I am a Chidgey living in Morth Petherton, traced my family back to the names you mentioned using marriage records and family records.

Starting to feel at home

Default Are our families connected?

Harriet Emma Chidgey was my wife's grandmother. She was born in Bristol in 1879. Harriet's father was Francis "Frank" Chidgey. He was born in Williton in 1851. His father was Peter Boswell Chidgey. Is there a connection here to your Chidgey family?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast