yelkcub

Default Hillingdon End/ London Street, mid 19th century

Is anyone in a position to provide general information on Hillingdon End/ London Street in Hillingdon around 1851? An ancestor of mine died there in that year: he lived with a granddaugher, but without servants (though he had servants in the 1841 census), and I wonder whether he had suffered a loss of financial status in the intervening years. What was the social profile of this neighbourhood? Oddly, his 15-year-old son is found at Hillingdon End in 1841, a live-in apprentice to a butcher, Joseph Roadnight.
    I shall be grateful for any opinions
    Ian

Jan1954

Your first stop could be the Hillingdon Local Studies and Archives, who should be able to provide specific information.

However, for masses of general information about the area, have a look at what British History Online has to say.

Happy reading!

yelkcub

Thanks for those links Jan - the British History site certainly refers to the places I mention and seems to suggest that houses built there were for 'middle-class occupation'.
    Your help is much appreciated IAN

mother hen

Im not sure if i can be of any help but i live in Hayes in the borough of Hillingdon.
    Im not very good at this but if there is a way i can help with you telling me what to do or go somewhere in Hillingdon let me know
    Regards Pam

yelkcub

Hi Pam - and thanks for your reply and the kind offer. What I really want to know is when exactly my ancestor Henry Page moved into the house in London Street, Hillingdon End. He was there for the census in 1851 and he died there later the same year. A while ago I phoned the Hillingdon Local Studies people, but they couldn't offer any help.
    When you say 'I'm not very good at this' - I'm sure you underestimate yourself. None of us is very good at this until we gain experience, bit by bit. Listening in to a forum like this one is a great way to expand your knowledge of what's out there. We're all learning - all the time and we never stop.
    With thanks and best wishes
    Ian