zadok45

Default Colley, Crawford

Hello to all you researchers.

Our family tree contains a plethora of family names, so just for now, I'm concentrating on two from my wife's side of the family.

Henry Colley seems to have been in the Bromsgrove area, (Worcs.), in 1882. He was registered as the father of Laura Colley, (my wife's paternal grandmother), the mother being Eliza Crawford.
    I have searched the marriage registration records indeces, from 1876 to 1881, but have found nothing to match these two names.

More crucially, I can find nothing to match them in any of the census returns for 1881 on.
    It occurred to me that they might not have been married at all, but with no census info, I'm stuck.

So, if anybody has any info which might help, please let me know.

PS - I now realise that the details shown on BMD certificates are not necessarily accurate, having discovered some relatives who either changed their names, or who "varied" their ages.
    Last edited by zadok45; 30-09-2008 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Clarification

kinshar

Smile

Hi

Found This Entry on BMD

Marriage
    Henry Colley & Eliza Crawford
    Dec 1861 Bromsgrove Vol. 6c Page 630

Regards
    Kinshar

Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

If that marriage is correct, could this be them?

1881 census RG11; Piece: 2939; Folio: 51; Page: 20

Bromsgrove, Worcestershire

Henry Colley, head, married, 42, Labourer, b Bromsgrove, Worcs
    Eliza, wife, mar, 40, Charwoman, b Bromsgrove, Worcs
    Henry, son, 12, scholar, b Bromsgrove, Worcs
    John, son, 8, scholar, b Bromsgrove, Worcs
    Elizabeth, daur, 16, Servant (out of place), b Bromsgrove, Worcs
    Sarah A, daur, 4, b Bromsgrove, Worcs

Michael

zadok45

Kinshar and Michaelpipe,

Thank you both very much. Such rapid responses, very impressive.

Kinshar - That looks like the couple. Surprising how early (1861??) they seem to have been married. Or, more likely, I mis-calculated their approxmate age, from Laura's birth certificate.

Michaelpipe - Your info is most useful. I found other Henry Colleys, in Aston and in Ombersley, Worcs., but not with the appropriate details. This Bromsgrove Colley seems to be the most likely.

So what's the likelihood of Eliza having another baby, at the age of 41? Since she has a 4-year old daughter, I guess it's possible.

Your contributions greatly appreciated.

Of course, if you were to obtain the birth cert for Sarah Ann Colley, it would then tell you if you had the correct parents in the 1881 census.

Sarah Ann Colley, Dec Qtr 1876, Bromsgrove Reg Dist, Vol 6c Page 419

There was also a George born same page, same reg number etc - possibly a twin - died Jun Qtr 1877.

It also appears possible that Eliza died - GRO Death Index Mar Qtr 1883, Eliza COLLEY, Age 43, Bromsgrove Reg Dist, Vol 6c Page 270

Michael

Just a couple of further thoughts:

If Eliza had died, then Henry may have remarried.
    The only marriage appears to be 1891 Dec Qtr Bromsgrove Vol 6c Page 740.
    Henry COLLEY is on this page as is one Annie Amelia GULLICK. A check of the 1901 census shows that Henry Colley b 1840 has a wife named Amelia A – at the time of their marriage he would have been about 51/52 – could have been Eliza’s widower. Amelia was 20 years younger and they had at least three children:

1901 census RG13 Piece 2799, Folio 127, Page 10
    North Bromsgrove
    Henry Colley, head, married, age 61, retired market gardener, b Droitwich, Worcs
    Annie A, wife, age 40, Dressmaker, b Orford, Staffs
    George, son age 9, b Bromsgrove, Worcs
    Thomas, son, age 7, b Bromsgrove, Worcs
    Annie, daur, age 6, b Bromsgrove, Worcs

Perhaps he is not yours, but worth checking.

Michael

zadok45

My thanks once more, Michaelpipe.

Will follow up your tip re Sarah Colley, and maybe go from there. Still no sign of Laura.
    Or was there yet another name change? Am not at my own PC, so cannot check immediately.
    Need to verify 1881 address, on the census return. The name Brimstone appears as location for Laura's birth (27/11/1882).

Hope to progress when I return. You have unearthed some interesting details, for which I'm very grateful.

zadok45

Hi Michaelpipe,

Checked the LDS site for more 1881 census details, re Henry Colley, Eliza et al. Found a location ref - "Brimstone & C" appears in the results.

Therefore, these Bromsgrove Colleys must be the right ones.

Thanks again for your very useful info.

zadok45

Default Colley?Gullick

Quote Originally Posted by michaelpipe View Post
    Just a couple of further thoughts:
    If Eliza had died, then Henry may have remarried. The only marriage appears to be 1891 Dec Qtr Bromsgrove Vol 6c Page 740.
    Henry COLLEY is on this page as is one Annie Amelia GULLICK. A check of the 1901 census shows that Henry Colley b 1840 has a wife named Amelia A – at the time of their marriage he would have been about 51/52 – could have been Eliza’s widower. Amelia was 20 years younger and they had at least three children:
    Michael
    Spot on, Michael. Henry Colley married Annie Amelia Gullick 23 December 1891. He declared his age as 50, while Annie Gullick's age was given as 27. According to another very recent source, it looks as though there were probably another 3 children born to Henry and Eliza, one of whom might have been George(1877); all seemed to have died in infancy. Maybe this contributed to Eliza's comparatively early demise.

Eliza Colley (nee Crawford) died 14 March 1883, from "spinal paralysis", according to the death certificate.

Thanks again, for your very useful advice.
    Richard