Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cassie2008

Default Emma Glaspy c1843

Hi I am trying to get through the brick wall I have hit with the Glaspy side of my ancestors. Emma Glaspy was born c 1843 I am unsure where, but she married in Sheffield in 1861 to George Belk. They lived at High Street Park at the time. Emma's father was Joseph Glaspy who was listed on Emma's marriage certificate as a mason. I am also wondering if the name really is Glaspy or Gillespie because on the marriage certificate Emma and George both had to make a mark so they would not have been able to spell the name correctly. I cant seem to get a name for Emma's mother or any further information on the Glaspy family. Thanks.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hi Cassie, both Emma & Joseph 'Glaspy' are not easily visible on 1841-1851 censuses. I wonder if they came over from Ireland as did so many other "Glaspy" families.

1871 census does say she (Emma Belk) was born in Ecclesfield, Yorkshire c.1837. I wonder if you could find a Yorkshire person to say the name Gillespie for you & hear the accent. Better yet some-one from Ireland.

FreeBMD offers mostly "GLasby" apart from one "Glasspy" marriage in 1853.

Sorry not really helpful, 1881 Emma is now only 42 b.1839 Sheffield living "Hud Hill" Tankersly Yorkshire.

Perhaps Parish records are the only way to find her 'birth place'.

Good luck
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Aussiebird

Hi Cassie
    Found this, could be that the accent made it sound like Glaspy.

Births Jun 1843 (>99%)
    GELLISPIE Emma Wirral 19 320

One of these could be Josephs marriage.Again remembering accents.

Marriages Dec 1838 (>99%)
    GILLESPY Joseph Newcastle on Tyne 25 337

Marriages Jun 1840 (>99%)
    GILLESPY Joseph Tynemouth 25 477

Other than parish records you may have to buy certs.

Cheers

janbooth

Default Emma GLASPY

Cassie,

Can we start from basics again please. I have been searching for your Emma GLASPY/GILLESPIE and the only one I can find with any Mason connections is one born c1837 in Durham and she has a father Joseph who is a Joiner and brothers James & Joseph who are Masons. Looking at your Emma after she has married George BELK - is he the George BELK who is a Moulder in an Ironworks and living in Brightside Bierlow, Sheffield in the 1871 census with Emma born c1837 Ecclesfield. If so, are you sure you have the correct marriage certificate, as this couple appear to be living in the 1861 census of Ecclesfield as husband and wife and already have 2 children (RG9/3458, folio 5, page 6). Although it is not unheard of for couples to marry after the births of one (or sometimes several) have you obtained the birth certificate of one of their children to confirm that Emma's maiden name is indeed GILLESPIE/GLASPY.

If I do indeed have the correct George & Emma in the 1861/71 census records and you do not have the birth certificate of one of their children, Tom Richard BELK was registered in the September qtr 1857 at Wortley reg district, vol 9c, page 154 according to FreeBMD.

Janet

dawn/karen

oh for the pronunciation thing i live in the north east ok and its said as this

gill eh s be

the irish way would be ga la s be

Cassie2008

[QUOTE=Waitabit;201666]Hi Cassie, both Emma & Joseph 'Glaspy' are not easily visible on 1841-1851 censuses. I wonder if they came over from Ireland as did so many other "Glaspy" families.

1871 census does say she (Emma Belk) was born in Ecclesfield, Yorkshire c.1837. I wonder if you could find a Yorkshire person to say the name Gillespie for you & hear the accent. Better yet some-one from Ireland.

FreeBMD offers mostly "GLasby" apart from one "Glasspy" marriage in 1853.

Sorry not really helpful, 1881 Emma is now only 42 b.1839 Sheffield living "Hud Hill" Tankersly Yorkshire.

Perhaps Parish records are the only way to find her 'birth place'.
    HI thanks for your help. I have the marriage certificate for George and Emma which states Joseph Glaspy is a mason and if as you say there is an Irish connection that solves my problem of my grandma saying she was Irish also. Thanks very much it has been very helpful indeed!

Cassie2008

Quote Originally Posted by dawn/karen View Post
    oh for the pronunciation thing i live in the north east ok and its said as this

gill eh s be

the irish way would be ga la s be
    thanks very much for that. I have been trying to puzzle this out for months!

Cassie2008

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    Cassie,

Can we start from basics again please. I have been searching for your Emma GLASPY/GILLESPIE and the only one I can find with any Mason connections is one born c1837 in Durham and she has a father Joseph who is a Joiner and brothers James & Joseph who are Masons. Looking at your Emma after she has married George BELK - is he the George BELK who is a Moulder in an Ironworks and living in Brightside Bierlow, Sheffield in the 1871 census with Emma born c1837 Ecclesfield. If so, are you sure you have the correct marriage certificate, as this couple appear to be living in the 1861 census of Ecclesfield as husband and wife and already have 2 children (RG9/3458, folio 5, page 6). Although it is not unheard of for couples to marry after the births of one (or sometimes several) have you obtained the birth certificate of one of their children to confirm that Emma's maiden name is indeed GILLESPIE/GLASPY. Hi thanks for the reply. I have the marriage certificate for Emma Glaspy marrying George Belk. George was married before though and had two children already his wife appears to have died having one of the two boys. He then went on to marry Emma Glaspy. The marriage certificate is dated May 19th whit sunday 1861 and Emma's father is Joseph Glaspy Mason. Thanks for the information.

If I do indeed have the correct George & Emma in the 1861/71 census records and you do not have the birth certificate of one of their children, Tom Richard BELK was registered in the September qtr 1857 at Wortley reg district, vol 9c, page 154 according to FreeBMD.

Janet
    Thanks very much for the information. This is very helpful to me in trying to find out where Emma and Joseph came from, hopefully I may now be able to find Emma's mums name now I know the areas that I am looking at and that the name could indeed be Gillespie because of accents.

Cassie2008

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiebird View Post
    Hi Cassie
    Found this, could be that the accent made it sound like Glaspy.

Births Jun 1843 (>99%)
    GELLISPIE Emma Wirral 19 320

One of these could be Josephs marriage.Again remembering accents.

Marriages Dec 1838 (>99%)
    GILLESPY Joseph Newcastle on Tyne 25 337

Marriages Jun 1840 (>99%)
    GILLESPY Joseph Tynemouth 25 477

Other than parish records you may have to buy certs.

Cheers
    Thanks very much for this information. I will try and obtain the marriage certificates for Joseph Gillespy. I am very grateful for all this information because I could not seem to get any further with Emma and Joseph at all. This is all very helpful indeed. I have got a lot more to go on.

Cassie2008

Default Thanks

Thank you very much for all the help with the Glaspy/Gillespie problem! I am very grateful and hopefully can get a bit further with this information. It has also solved another problem I had and now I may be able to find out whereabouts in Ireland the family were from. Thanks again. I am a little confused now with Emma's date of birth because of some census return information. On the marriage certificate it states that she is 18 in 1861. Do you think the most correct date of birth would be that on the marriage certificate which makes her year of birth 1843? Thanks very much.
    Last edited by Cassie2008; 01-10-2008 at 9:39 AM. Reason: further information to add

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast