ted_in_halifax

Default Henry Vaughan Born 1819

Here's my Brick Wall ....

Henry Vaughan was born Jan 10, 1819. We are not sure where, but his death certificate (Died in Halifax Nova Scotia in 1874) lists him as born in England. But I can't find anything that puts him there?

He was Married in Halifax Nova Scotia in 1846 to a Sarah Larecombe (larcombe) who also is listed on her death certificate as born in England.

Everything is mapped up to Henry Vaughan born in 1819 .... but from there on I'm lost. I also have my DNA mapped ... my Y-DNS values are on the vaughan-vaughn.org site (number 125079)

Any help is appreciated.
    Ted

maryanne

Default brickwall

Hi Ted

Do you have a year of birth for Sarah Larcombe ?

CanadianCousin

Hi Ted,

Since Henry (and presumably Sarah) was born before civil registration started in 1837, you'll need to know where he was born in order to find his baptism, which should then give you his parents' names. Chances are that Henry and Sarah were in Nova Scotia before the 1841 English census, but if you can identify any family members who didn't emigrate on a census (preferably 1851 or later), this may help narrow down your search area.

Do you have any other information which might help identify Henry's or Sarah's families? I'm thinking of middle names (sometimes these can be mother's or grandmother's maiden names), children's names (in case they follow a family pattern - e.g., first son named after father's father, second son named after mother's father), wills (in case relatives back in England are named), newspaper obituaries, etc...? What did Henry do for a living? (e.g., if he was a fisherman or mariner, he may have been born in a coastal community; if a miner, he may have come from a mining district)

I don't know if there are passenger lists available for the period 1819 - 1843, but these might help, especially if either of them travelled with with parents, siblings, etc...

Good luck -

Tim

Mutley

Have you tried having a play around in
    https://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

Maybe Henry and Sarah lived near each other?

There are 3 baptisms for a Henry Vaughan in 1819, one in Bermondsey, one in Brighton and one in Hampshire. (Another one in Shropshire can be ruled out because he is on the census of 1881)

There are many variations of Larcome, lots in Dorset, but there is a Sarah baptised in Southwark in 1827 not far from Bermondsey. Christopher and Elizabeth are her parents.

Worth a try...

ted_in_halifax

Thank you for the interest in this .... I'm impressed!

I have no information on Sarah's or Henry's siblings, nor their parents. Everything I have ends with them. I do have a DNA test that links me to William Patrick Vaughan was born about 1750 in Tretower, Wales. How close of a linkage is not clear .. he could be a direct or distance relative. I match all 12 DYS's and am upgrading to a more detailed test to see if I can refine this further. My group of Vaughans have a DYS#392 value of 15 which separates us from the other Vaughans very clearly. (for the more curious I am kit # 125079 on vaughan-vaughn.org/dna-testing/results)

One strong clue is that my family was catholic ... with a history of some being Jesuit.

Sarah (Sara) Larcombe was born April 7, 1816. She died in Halifax Nova Scotia on Sept 11, 1872 (her age on her death certificate is listed as 50 ... which draws into question the date of birth).

For Henry Vaughan 1819 ... I have no middle name. From his marriage Certificate, it appears that he was a servant. Although I am not sure if this was an occupation or a reference to being a subject of the king ...

I have all the children's names.
    Charles Henry Vaughan 1847 -1892
    Annais Vaughan 1849-1866
    Lydia Vaughan 1851-1898
    Fanny Vaughan 1852-1921
    Ernest Arthur Vaughan 1854 - 1856
    Henry Herbert Vaughan 1856 (my linage) - 1930
    George Vaughan 1858 - 1914

I will play around in familysearch.org!

Thanks for help, it is greatly appreciated.

Ted

CanadianCousin

Hi again,

When I saw the name Annais, I thought "that's distinctive - surely there must have been an earlier Annais Vaughn or Larcombe we could find", but sadly no luck. Nor could I find Annais as a surname in the British Isles. I think the other children's names were probably a bit too popular to provide a solid lead.

I didn't realize that DNA testing could provide that level of specificity (except for siblings, parents/children, or possibly first cousins). Have you been in touch with any descendants of William Patrick Vaughan? I'm wondering if you could try tracing his family forward to see if Henry's birth shows up.

As you're in Halifax, have you been to the Provincial Archives to see if they have any documents which mention Henry and/or Sarah? I can't think of anything specific that might link back to their place of origin, but you never know unless you look.

Other than that, I can't think of anything which might help, but if I do, I'll let you know.

Best of luck with your research -

Tim

ted_in_halifax

Tim:

I haven't been to the archives, but rather the Provincial genealogy website they created. This is where the death records and marriage certificate were found.

Unfortunately for Annais he or she only lived from 1849 to 1866 according to family records. Plus Henry 1816 may have moved to Newfoundland. That is where Henry Herbert Vaughan 1856 emerges. I know he was there because I found a document online that discussed the death of many of his boys in WWI. They were with the Royal Newfoundland regiment, ... which suffered a 70% casualty rate... They fail to mention my great grandfather (who also served, but not overseas), but he had moved back to Halifax at the end of WWI, just in time for the Halifax explosion. Not good timing ...

"The Vaughans of St. John’s were only one of many families in the Colony devastated by the war. Four Vaughan sons enlisted, two of whom were “Blue Puttees”. Three of the brothers died and the fourth was discharged as permanently disabled. The parents, Harry and Ellen (Dwyer) Vaughan,
    both 63 years old in 1918, were left impoverished, without the support of their sons in their old age."

The DNA test that I had only proves ....

In comparing 12 markers that match, the probability that I (Ted) and another individual tested (Vaughan) shared a common ancestor within the last...
    4 generations is 33.57%
    8 generations is 55.88%
    12 generations is 70.69%
    16 generations is 80.53%
    20 generations is 87.07%
    24 generations is 91.41%

I have been in contact with the descendants of William Vaughan, they have William as their Dead end ... so they are looking to me to be the UK connection (which I suspect I am).

I am currently upgrading to 37 markers which will improve the above statistics and give me an indication of who I am most related to ... then ... I plan to harvest their family tree to find my Henry!

Appreciate the help
    Still looking for Henry!
    Ted

ted_in_halifax

What I have found on this so far is ...

Halifax in 1846 was small very small.

There was a Herbert Henry Vaughan who was in the 60th Regiment of Foot from 1844 to 1848 (2nd Lieut). The 60th was in Halifax, the year Henry Vaughan was married in Halifax. Coincidence?

Why does the family not know the military history of Henry Vaughan if he really is Herbert Henry Vaughan? The Answer appears to be in the fact that in 1848, in India, Herbert Henry Vaughan was cashiered.

What I need to know now is .... Where did Herbert Henry Vaughan come from ....
    Born Jan 10, 1819
    Received rank of 2nd Lieut 2 aug 1844

Any suggestions on where to look would be appreciated.

Ted