Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Douglas

A fountain of knowledge

Default Douglas

I'm looking for information on Mungo Douglas and family.

I've found him in Census 1851 with wife Jean and kids William 9, Adam 7, Hugh 5 and Jean(should be Jane) 1mth. 1861 with wife Jane (should be Jean) kids William 19, Jane 10, Janet 7, Robert 3 and Mungo 1.

Mungo and family lift Scotland for NZ in 1863. He and Wife Jean arried here with kids William, Hugh, Elizabeth, Janet, Jane, Annie, Archibald and John.

I need to know what happened to Adam, Robert and Mungo. Died perhaps? And where and when were Elizabeth, Annie, Archibald and John born.
    Most of the other kids seem to have been born in Dreghorn Ayrshire

Anyone got access to Scottish BMDs or how can I find them online without it costing me big bikkies

Irene

JustJean

Hi Irene

You can't find images of the Scottish BMD's and OPRS's online anywhere but SP and that will cost. You can however order in a film to your FHC and view them that way.....or even order photocopies (not sure how this works outside the US though) from Salt Lake City for a small fee as long as the record is an extract in the IGI. A parent search on familysearch.com turns up the births you're looking for. Just enter father's name Mungo Douglas, mother's name Jean Arthur, and then only enter British Isles and leave all other boxes blank. The one in 1855 might be worthwhile getting though as that is the year of more data!

Best wishes
    Jean

JustJean

Wait just a minute here!!!! You've got the wrong family!!! I started trying to cross match names and yes there are an awful lot of coincidences that match but there just weren't enough deaths and births to fit the bill. The wee Mungo you've found born abt 1859 died in Dreghorn in 1872 and his father Mungo Douglas is informant. Unless they sailed back from downunder I don't thing they could be in two places at once.

Best wishes
    Jean

JustJean

what are the ages of the kids on the immigration records you have? Perhaps we can find another family for you!

Here is the Mungo Douglas family you had found in the 1871 census still in Dreghorn at the address of "House 72".

members of the household:
    Jane Douglas age 20, dau
    Janet Douglas age 53, wife
    Mary Douglas age 15, dau
    Mungo Douglas age 56, head
    Mungo Douglas age 4, (says son but might be grandson)
    Robert Douglas age 13, son

A fountain of knowledge

The Mungo Douglas I'm looking at was born 1815 or there abouts.
    I have no brith date for the kids at arrived here. But the list is the right fimily Janet and Archibald married into the same family. They all meet on the ship.

I can only give a guess to the age of one of the girls - 1839 give or take a few years. She was around 25yrs when she married. Archibald was b. 1852????

Irene

JustJean

Hi Irene

Ok....found the right family now!! Try this one out in 1861....they were not from Dreghorn but from New Cumnock!!

Registration district: New Cumnock
    Civil Parish: New Cumnock
    County: Ayrshire
    Address: Farden

Members of the household:
    Anne Douglas age 11, dau., b. New Cumnock
    Archibald Douglas age 9, son, b. New Cumnock
    Elizabeth Douglas age 15, dau. b. New CUmnock
    Hugh Douglas age 17, son, b. New Cumnock
    Jane Douglas age 13, dau, b. New Cumnock
    Janet Douglas age 23, dau, b. Stair, Ayrshire
    John Douglas age 51, wife (clearly mistranscibed!!!!) b. Craigie, Ayrshire
    Mary Douglas age 25, dau, b. Stair, Ayrshire
    Mungo Douglas age 56, b. Sorn, Ayrshire, Occupation: Farmer Of 148 Acres
    William Douglas age 21, son , b. Stair, Ayrshire
    James Richmond age 17, servant Occupation: Ploughman

JustJean

I had an extra credit so here are the index results for the OPR births from SP

11/01/1850 DOUGLAS ANNE MUNGO DOUGLAS/JEAN GALT FR176 F New Cumnock /AYR 608/ 0020 0106

26/01/1852 DOUGLAS ARCHIBALD MUNGO DOUGLAS/JEAN GALT FR177 M New Cumnock /AYR 608/ 0020 0109

04/11/1845 DOUGLAS ELISABETH MUNGO DOUGLAS/JEAN GALT FR171 F New Cumnock /AYR 608/ 0020 0097

05/11/1843 DOUGLAS HUGH MUNGO OR JOHN DOUGLAS JANE GALT FR169 M New Cumnock /AYR 608/ 0020 0093

06/02/1838 DOUGLAS JANET MUNGO DOUGLAS/JEAN GALT FR221 F Stair /AYR 614/ 0020 0101

11/11/1847 DOUGLAS JEAN MUNGO DOUGLAS/JEAN GALT FR173 F New Cumnock /AYR 608/ 0020 0101

20/11/1833 DOUGLAS JOHN MUNGO DOUGLAS/JEAN GALT FR207 M Stair /AYR 614/ 0020 0074

28/10/1835 DOUGLAS MARY MUNGO DOUGLAS/JEAN GALT FR214 F Stair /AYR 614/ 0020 0088

08/03/1840 DOUGLAS WILLIAM MUNGO DOUGLAS/JEAN GALT FR227 M Stair /AYR 614/ 0020 0114

Best wishes
    Jean

A fountain of knowledge

Hi Jean,

You are a genius. I had at the back of my mind that it didn't fit right but I just couldn't work out why.

If I'd used my aging brain a bit better I would have worked out Janet and Archibald ages sooner

That is the family that I am after

Many thanks

Irene

JustJean

I'm happy if you're happy

Deano

Default Douglas

Hello Irene,

In 1851. census, New Cumnock. Address, Fardin.

Douglass Mungo, Head, M. M. age 48 years, Farmer, 180 Acres, Born Sorn, Ayr,
    Douglass Jane, Wife, M. F. age 41 years, born Craigie, Ayr,
    Douglass John, son, U. M. age 17 years, Ploughman, born, Stair, Ayr,
    Douglass Mary, daur, U. F. age 15 years, Born Stair, Ayr,
    Douglass Janet, daur, F. age 13 years, born Stair, Ayr,
    Douglass William, son, M. age 11 years, scholar, born Stair, Ayr,
    Douglass James, son, M. age 9 years, scholar, born New Cumnock, Ayr,
    Douglass Hugh, son, M. age 7 years, scholar, born New Cumnock, Ayr,
    Douglass Elizabeth, daur, F. age 5 years, born New Cumnock, Ayr,
    Douglass Jane, daur, F. age 3 year, born New Cumnock, Ayr,
    Douglass Anne, daur, F. age 1 year, born New Cumnock, Ayr,
    Mcdougall Grace, Servant, F. age 15 years, House Servant, born Glencairn, Dumfriesshire.

This is your family i would not worry about the surname having two s' at the end this could quite easily be a transcription error, ie on the reading of the census.

You will also notice there is a son James, aged 9 years, who was not with the family on the 1861 census provided for you earlier.

Regards,
    Jonn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast