Thread: Tomlison

mutt1

Default Tomlison

Hi im new to this site and wish to say a big Hi to you all!
    I am trying to find information on my Great Grandfather Charles Henry Tomlison born in Preston Lancashire in 1880, On my nans birth certificate it states that he was a solicitor, can anyone tell me how i can find out further information on his profession and where he practiced. He married Ann Elizabeth Laverty .
    many thanks
    mutt1

Mutley

Hello and welcome to the forum

I can only suggest you google for Trade Directories for the area that he lived, probably after his marriage or your nan's birth.

They should list local companies and you may be lucky that you will find he worked on his own account.

Does it give any information on the 1901 census?

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by mutt1 View Post
    ...how i can find out further information on his profession.
    As Mutley says, trade directories are your first port of call.

Then you could try the Law Lists. Copies are widely available eg British Library, Guildhall Library, National Archives, Society of Genealogists etc. As ever, check holdings before travelling.

mutt1

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forum

I can only suggest you google for Trade Directories for the area that he lived, probably after his marriage or you nan's birth.

They should list local companies and you may be lucky that you will find he worked on his own account.

Does it give any information on the 1901 census?
    no unfortunately he is not on it, well, i will know more when i have his birth certificate, there is a family story that although he was a solicitor he was not a very honest one, and it is said that they were constantly moving around. I know that they covered the areas of Ormskirk, Congleton, Great Malvern, Preston. oh where to startI will await his birth certificate in the post, hopefully it will come today???
    Thank you for your help
    mutt1

Mutley

There is a Charles H Tomlinson in 1901. He was born in Preston in about 1881.

Head of Household is James A Whittaker and his wife is Sarah Whittaker.
    They are living in Ormskirk, North Meols.

Charles is a Solicitors Clerk (law) as is Ernest L. Both are step sons.

Class: RG13; Piece: 3539; Folio: 96; Page: 29.

mutt1

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    There is a Charles H Tomlinson in 1901. He was born in Preston in about 1881.

Head of Household is James A Whittaker and his wife is Sarah Whittaker.
    They are living in Ormskirk, North Meols.

Charles is a Solicitors Clerk (law) as is Ernest L. Both are step sons.

Class: RG13; Piece: 3539; Folio: 96; Page: 29.
    Oh Mutley, thank you, thank you, for that information, I will have to check it out, I dont remember anything about charles mum re-marrying, but then they didnt shout about it in those days, Charles was a Solicitor as stated on my nans birth certificate, its difficult as all of that side are no longer with us, and havnt been since 1992, i didnt think about family history back then, I was young and you dont think of past relatives. As I have grown up I have begun to question my past and who I am.
    Ernest`s second initial looks like it could be after his natural father as his name was John Livesey Tomlison, I have also found a Death entry for him in 1893 aged 34yrs??? I have today recieved a copy of Charles Birth Certificate, and yes John Livesey Tomlison was his father, I will now send for his death certificate.
    Thank you again for your valued help
    mutt1

mutt1

Quote Originally Posted by mutt1 View Post
    Oh Mutley, thank you, thank you, for that information, I will have to check it out, I dont remember anything about charles mum re-marrying, but then they didnt shout about it in those days, Charles was a Solicitor as stated on my nans birth certificate, its difficult as all of that side are no longer with us, and havnt been since 1992, i didnt think about family history back then, I was young and you dont think of past relatives. As I have grown up I have begun to question my past and who I am.
    Ernest`s second initial looks like it could be after his natural father as his name was John Livesey Tomlison, I have also found a Death entry for him in 1893 aged 34yrs??? I have today recieved a copy of Charles Birth Certificate, and yes John Livesey Tomlison was his father, I will now send for his death certificate.
    Thank you again for your valued help
    mutt1
    Also, its interesting that they were living in Ormskirk as that would have been where Charles met my Grt Grandmother Ann Elizabeth Laverty. wow
    mutt1